Robert Jacobs

Death after burial audit

I have two instances of people whose death date is known but whose actual date of interment is unknown. One died 23 Sep 1943; I've set the burial tag to ___ Sep 1943, and the sort date of the latter to 25 Sep 1943. The audit report shows a "death after burial" error. Is there any way of avoiding this short of fabricating a burial date?

Thanks to all.

formerprof

I solve this particular issue the following way: if the death date is "23 Sep 1943" and the burial date is unknown, I set it to "after 23 Sep 1943". That way I don't get the warning and the burial tag is sorted correctly.

My personal opinion is that I avoid constructing burial dates. For example; to assume that a burial took place in september 1943 because a person died the 23rd of that month, may not necessarily be true, because the burial may have taken longer than a week. But by setting the burial date to AFTER the particular death date, you're safe in all instances.

Another way to solve the problem is to simply not include a burial date. Afterall, if there are no sources documenting the burial, why include it at all? I like having the primary church events such as birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage, death and burial included, but that is not always possible if there are no sources documenting that particular event.

Hope this helps,

Ken.

I have two instances of people whose death date is known but whose actual date of interment is unknown. One died 23 Sep 1943; I've set the burial tag to ___ Sep 1943, and the sort date of the latter to 25 Sep 1943. The audit report shows a "death after burial" error. Is there any way of avoiding this short of fabricating a burial date?

Thanks to all.

formerprof

I solve this particular issue the following way: if the death date is "23 Sep 1943" and the burial date is unknown, I set it to "after 23 Sep 1943". That way I don't get the warning and the burial tag is sorted correctly.

My personal opinion is that I avoid constructing burial dates. For example; to assume that a burial took place in september 1943 because a person died the 23rd of that month, may not necessarily be true, because the burial may have taken longer than a week. But by setting the burial date to AFTER the particular death date, you're safe in all instances.

Another way to solve the problem is to simply not include a burial date. Afterall, if there are no sources documenting the burial, why include it at all? I like having the primary church events such as birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage, death and burial included, but that is not always possible if there are no sources documenting that particular event.

Hope this helps,

Ken.

Thanks to all.

formerprof

Many thanks, Ken. Both solutions seem excellent -- I think I prefer "after" and will adopt it immediately.

formerprof

Edited by formerprof

Using "After" can give you some odd results in filters. Probably harmless enough in Burials. I leave the burial date blank if it is unknown and I just rely on a sort date to tidy up the sequence