strathglass

Are TMG and TNG Sitebuilding compatible?

I just saw a spiffy web publishing tool called The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding.

It is cheap and I like the looks of it.

Anyone here use TMG exports to feed TNG Sitebuilding? (It only requires GEDCOM input, so I suspect there would be no problem.)

And maybe TMG has its own web publishing capabilities: anyone want to comment on them?

-strathglass

Yes, TMG supports GEDCOM output, so it's data can be exported to TNG. The problem is, GEDCOM doesn't support TMG's most valuable features, like Witnesses, Roles, multi-party tags beyond a few family tags, customized sentences and source notes, etc.

So, either you restrict your use of TMG to those features supported by GEDCOM, or you find another web publishing tool. The good news is that Second Site, a TMG companion program, reads the TMG data files directly and supports all these TMG features. It's extreamly flexible - see for example the sites listed at Keith Winters' Galary of Websites created with Second Site.

Yes, TMG support GEDCOM output, so it's data can be exported to TNG. The problem is, GEDCOM doesn't support TMG's most valuable features, like Witnesses, Roles, multi-party tags beyond a few family tags, customized sentences and source notes, etc.

So, either you restrict your use of TMG to those features supported by GEDCOM, or you find another web publishing tool. The good news is that Second Site, a TMG companion program, reads the TMG data files directly and supports all these TMG features. It's extreamly flexible - see for example the sites listed at Keith Winters' Galary of Websites created with Second Site.

Thanks Terry. I did check out some of those examples. It looks like it has some potential, but I did like the look of the other product better.

-strathglass

You're welcome.

I won't quibble about the "look" as that's mostly a personal preference. But how about the content? To mention just one example, when you show a census entry, will, land transaction, or other event involving multiple people, does it create hyperlinks to each person mentioned? Does it even allow you to record such entries without duplicating them for each person involved? I think you will find not. :)