strathglass

RELATED-BY flag not working

Was trying to implement Terry's RELATED-BY flag as per http://tmg.reigelridge.com/related-by.htm.

However step 4 doesn't find anything, and so that is an obvious problem!

Does anyone who has created & used this flag have ideas on what the problem could be?

(I've reset all the flags back to "?" and tried again a few times with the same results.)

BTW: the tutorial has an error in step 2, in the 3rd last bullet of this step: at end it has the quoted text "Additions" that should say "Ancestors".

("Additions" is the name given to a filter that is created: not sure why Terry even has us name the filter since it is called up again only one other time [step 1 second last bullet] and not any of the subsequent times that the List...of People report is called up. Is that a mistake?)

-strathglass

Was trying to implement Terry's RELATED-BY flag as per http://tmg.reigelridge.com/related-by.htm.

However step 4 doesn't find anything, and so that is an obvious problem!

I think the problem is that you used the "Ancestors" filter in the second part of Step 2, and changed the filter as described there. But you are supposed to be using the "Additions" filter, and changing that - see below. You get nothing in Step 4 because the "Ancestors" filter is now incorrectly defined.

BTW: the tutorial has an error in step 2, in the 3rd last bullet of this step: at end it has the quoted text "Additions" that should say "Ancestors".

No, "Additions" is correct. You already used the "Ancestors" filter to set the flag for all the ancestors and descendants to "M." But that filter cannot add the spouses of the cousins - that requires two steps, as described in "Step 2." In the second part of that step you are using the "Additions" filter to add the spouses of all those you have just flagged as M - that is, the ancestors and cousins. If you use the "Ancestors" filter again you will only get the spouses of the ancestors, but not the spouses of the cousins.

No, "Additions" is correct.

Hi Terry:

Well, if "Additions" is correct then the mistake is the wording before that, where it says:

"in the drop-down list next to "Filtered group" select the "Additions" Filter"

when it should say something like "in the "Configuration Name" dropdown select the "Additions" Filter".

Assuming I am correct (please confirm), that may have been my confusion.

-strathglass

The "Configuration Name" drop-down is for selecting among saved Report Definitions. While you could name this report definition, I've not suggested in the instructions what one do so. Only one report definition is required for the method I outline.

What I said to save in Step 1 was two Filters - first "Ancestors" and later "Additions." You select existing filters from the drop-down to the right of the term "Filtered Group," as the directions say.

OK Terry - I've identified the confusion:

in the 4th last bullet of step 1 it says:

"...and click Add under the Filter name. Give this Filter a new name, say "Additions.""

It is this step that wasn't clear to me: I interpreted the "filter name" as the "configuration name".

May I suggest a wording tweak here? Even though it was my mistake, I think you'd make it more explicit/clearer if you changed it from the above to:

"...and click Add under the Filter name that is beside the "Filtered group" radio button. Give this Filter a new name, say "Additions.""

Anyways, I will try it again now that I know where I went wrong.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

-strathglass