jdraganchuk

The name/birth tag sentence in reports

Why do my reports start with the persons name, followed by a period, followed by a sentence starting "He was born" I tried to combine sentences by globally fixing the sentence for the birth tag to [+] was born and now it shows up in reports as the person's name followed by [+] was born.

Why do my reports start with the persons name, followed by a period, followed by a sentence starting "He was born" I tried to combine sentences by globally fixing the sentence for the birth tag to [+] was born and now it shows up in reports as the person's name followed by [+] was born.

Look at the sentence for the birth tag...you probably have something like [PF] was born or [RF:Child] was born....remove the F...

Thank you for replying. I'm sorry if I'm not getting this, but I'm a new user. My birth tag sentence says [P] was born <[D]> <[L]>. There is no PF or RF in the sentence, but it shows up in reports as: "Michael Bittman. He was born . . ." When I changed the birth tag sentence to [+] was born <[D]> <[L]>, it then read "Michael Bittman [+] was born . . ."

I suspect you have a tag that's appearing before the birth tag, but producing no output. Look for an undated tag (may be at the bottom of the Details view if you have set undated tags to appear there) that does not appear in the text.

Thank you for replying. I'm sorry if I'm not getting this, but I'm a new user. My birth tag sentence says [P] was born <[D]> <[L]>. There is no PF or RF in the sentence, but it shows up in reports as: "Michael Bittman. He was born . . ." When I changed the birth tag sentence to [+] was born <[D]> <[L]>, it then read "Michael Bittman [+] was born . . ."

Did you import from another application such as UFT?

Look at the sentence in the birth tag for one of the individuals where you have the problem and see what the sentence template is for that person and let us know....

Got it! Thanks everyone. I had a tag producing no output that was placed before the birth tag. I do read Terry's book and website before I post, but sometimes I am just stumped and need your help. Thanks again.

Glad to hear you found it. :)

The reason you got that result is that each section of the Journal starts with the person's full name. Then it looks at the first tag, and if it also starts with the full name, the name is not repeated, and the output of the tag continues from there. Generally that's a birth tag that starts with the name of the person, so all is well.

If for any reason the first tag doesn't begin with the full name, a period is added after the name, then the first tag is output. This could happen if one changes the Birth tag sentence so it starts with only the first name, or something else altogether. Or, in this case, the first tag had no output (which obviously then doesn't include the name).