strathglass

How to handle source="interview" with many unrelated facts?

Any advice on how to handle defining a source or sources for this scenario:

• much information is provided in an interview (really just a discussion with me making notes!)
  • the information concerns many different families
  • the information could even be provided over several different meetings, possibly over many years!

Should I make separate source entries for each session? Or can I just use one source and load all the details in there?

In this particular case, I am mainly concerned with info provided by one of my parents over the years.

Thanks,

strathglass

I have one source called INFORMANT.

[iNFORMANT]< ([iNFORMANT ADDRESS])>< gave information to [iNTERVIEWER]><, [iNTERVIEW DATE]><. Original held by [REPOSITORY INFO]><. [COMMENTS]><, [CD]><. Hereinafter cited as [sHORT TITLE]><: [FILE REFERENCE]><, [sOURCE NUMBER]>.

If you want the person to only be one source, change INTERVIEW DATE to CD, and put the date of the interview in the Citation Detail. For me, I want to be able to tell which interview the information came from, so if I interviewed you twenty times, I would have twenty sources with you are informant. You can use the abbreviation field to keep them separate in the list.

For my mom, who calls regularly with births, deaths, someone's kids middle name, I just leave off the interview date, and she only has one source. I don't really interview her as much as she says, "So and so had her baby and named it Marge." If I don't make a copy (as in our phone conversations), I leave off the repository info. Only use that if I make a hard copy, or if I found a hard copy of an interview at the library. The CD field can be used for things like, "Mom baby sits for So and so and kept the older two while she gave birth and called me that same day." This leads credence to how accurate the information could be. If it's a phone call, in the informant address, you could put Phone Call, so it would print "Sally Smith, Phone Call gave information to Teresa Elliott, Mom baby sits for So and so and kept the older two while she gave birth and called me that same day."

You can play with the wording on it as well if you don't like mine, but at least this gives you an idea of where to start. Usual disclaimer. This source type fits my needs and may not be Mills appropriate.