Hello Everyone I have a few questions. I have used a few other products and once used TMG primarily.

1. When is TMG V8 coming out?

2. Will it be a rewrite bringing TMG onto a newer development platform?

3. Are there plans for shared/witness events to be exported like in genbox and RM?

Edit: I stumbled on the following thread and it pretty much answered all my questions. I was hoping that TMG was going to get off of FoxPro and get with a more modern look and feel. Also the exporting of shared events is a big issue when you are trying to share data. Unicode is needed by a lot of us. RM4 now has shared events that do export out and they rewrote the application to give it a more modern look and feel but still kept all the interface items that everyone enjoyed.

Edit 2: For some reason I cannot reply to topics in this forum it says that I do not have the right. Thanks for your response Jim.

Yes I am talking about witnesses to an event for instance the people living at a location or people on a census only export for the principle people for that event but not for the witnesses. Maybe I was using the witness function in the wrong way and they should not be used to show that children lived at a certain location with their parents or that they were all in the same census record.

This information is important and when exporting to services similar to ancestry.com or sharing with a family member it disappears. Also many people use multiple genealogy software and the witnessed event data does not transfer when creating a gedcom, the most you can hope for is that the program can convert TMG's data directly.

All that is required on TMG's part is to export those events as if they belonged to the witnesses also with maybe some added verbage specifying the role they played. Thanks for your time Jim.

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...nternal+exhibit

Edited by BoricuaSeeker

1. When is TMG V8 coming out?

No one can answer that. TMG v8 will be announced when it is ready for release.

2. Will it be a rewrite bringing TMG onto a newer development platform?

It's unlikely that TMG v8 will be a total program rewrite.

3. Are there plans for shared/witness events to be exported like in genbox and RM?

To be clear, TMG has always exported both individual and shared events. You appear to be asking about witnesses to events.

The only point of such GEDCOM extensions is for re-import into the exporting program.

Such extensions cannot be used for transferring data between programs since there is no standard.

The TMG design has always been that data should be exchanged between TMG installations by way of TMG projects rather than by using GEDCOM. I'm not aware of any plans to change the TMG design philosophy regarding GEDCOM export.

Note: This is not an official Wholly Genes response but if you contact Support, you should receive the same answers.