cghjr

Printing Ancestor Journal

I have contacted TMG for at least a year and a half about this problem. I was told on several occasions that the team was working on it and there would soon be a fix. However, when I called about two weeks ago, I was told that nothing had ever been in the works to address the problem. It was also suggested to me that I try to get some activity on the support forum and the chat room. ie: this post!!! After you read this post, if the problem described is something you would like to see changed, please help me generate some awareness of it to the proper people.

When I print an ancestor journal and have all the notes and memos turned on, I have several, more than three, ancestors which print out multiple times. This is because they are common ancestors to a husband and a wife. I have two which print three times and several more which print twice. PAF, the morman free software, has an option to have a full repeat in cases like this, or a partial repeat or no repeat at all. The partial repeat only lists the person again and refers back to the number in the data where that person is first entered. In TMG there is always a full repeat. Pages and pages of Bios and memos are repeated and each time it repeats, that person is assigned a new number. I have been having to print to a file then go in and delete out all that redundant or superflorous information which has been repeated, but the whole numbering sytem is out of sequence when you do that.

Most of the time I export into PAF and generate a report there, where it is not a problem. That certainly is not a nice compliment to TMG. I don't know the mechanics of getting this done in TMG or in PAF. Maybe it is much harder to do in TMG, but there certainly has been long enough to get it done. Charles Henderson, Florence, SC

When I print an ancestor journal and have all the notes and memos turned on, I have several, more than three, ancestors which print out multiple times. This is because they are common ancestors to a husband and a wife. I have two which print three times and several more which print twice. PAF, the morman free software, has an option to have a full repeat in cases like this, or a partial repeat or no repeat at all. The partial repeat only lists the person again and refers back to the number in the data where that person is first entered. In TMG there is always a full repeat. Pages and pages of Bios and memos are repeated and each time it repeats, that person is assigned a new number. I have been having to print to a file then go in and delete out all that redundant or superflorous information which has been repeated, but the whole numbering sytem is out of sequence when you do that....

AMEN! These repeaters are called "redundant" ancestors. This feature is also something I have wanted for a long time. I formally used Ultimate Family Tree (developed from Roots 3), and you could indicate how you wanted redundant ancestors treated in the report options.

You're so right about the numbers getting all messed up if you try to delete people.

The "redundant" ancestor handling feature in printed reports is really important!

You're so right about the numbers getting all messed up if you try to delete people.

The "redundant" ancestor handling feature in printed reports is really important!

You can add my vote for getting the "redundant" option included.

You can add my vote for getting the "redundant" option included.

I was also brought up on "roots" and "ultimate Family Tree". I don't think I am expecting too much out of TMG to want a redundant person option.