BobSOH

TMG6 Vista Installation Error

I am getting an error message when attempting to install TMG6 on Vista. The error message text is "The file C:\Windows\System32\MFC42.dll could not be opened. Please check that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination directory. Access is denied.

I have approx 150gb of freee space on my hard drive. "TrustedInstallers have all right to the System 32 directory. I am running the installation in XP Compat mode and with Administrator rights. (Done to the TMG6setup.exe).

ANyone else having this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BobSOH

Bob &/or Jim,

Did you figure out how to move past this .dll error? I am having the same problem installing on a Vista machine too.

Thanks,

Sheryl

Sheryl didn't respond to this suggestion in her topic.

You should not need to change the installer compatibility settings. If WinVista has an issue, it will just ask you to run the installer again.

You do not need to run the installer as administrator. You do need to run the program (but not the installer) as administrator if it is installed to the Program Files folder.

Here's what to try...

Close any programs that are security holes... email client, browser, instant messaging client.

Turn off your anti-virus protect scanning... in other words, the real time scanning that is always occurring.

Then retry the TMG installer with the a/v scanning off. A/V scanning is one known cause of this issue. I've installed TMG under WinVista with both Norton and Avast running with no problem.

Be sure to turn the antivirus protect scanning back on before rebooting and before running any web-related programs.

Is mfc42.dll present in the c:\windows\system32 folder?

The Microsoft Foundation Class library including mfc42.dll has been included with all MS operating systems since Win98 (first edition). These files were installed on my current WinVista installation.

If it's not there, this would explain the error.

If not, you can download mfc42.dll (http://www.dll-download.net/mfc42.html) and add it to system32 although I suspect this is not enough by itself.

Looking at whether this is a known installer issue. The pattern suggests a third party application is involved. Can you list everything that was installed between when WinVista was installed and when the TMG install was attempted.

Looking at whether this is a known installer issue. The pattern suggests a third party application is involved. Can you list everything that was installed between when WinVista was installed and when the TMG install was attempted.

See list posted here.

Jim,

The only program that Sherylt and I have in common is Microsoft Office 2003.

I also installed Quicken, TurboTax, ListPro, Phatnotes Pro, and PAF. All pretty clean installations I believe.

I also tried with the scanner off, firewall off, safe mode to no avail. MFS42.dll is not read only and the trusted installer permissions are full control and Sherylt indicated.

Don't know where to go from here.

Bob S.