Michael Hannah

CensusEnum tag

It seems that recording Census data gives rise to the greatest variety of custom tags and sentences. Here is my main custom "CensusEnum" tag and its sentences which I use in place of the standard Census tag. I have an equivalent CensusX tag for recording index and soundex data. I have CensusFind and CensusXFind to indicate that I need to locate census data, and CensusNil and CensusXNil to record what I looked for but did not find. These tags and sentences are similar to this main enumeration tag.

Hope this gives you ideas.

Tag Overview

I prefer to have the Head of Household as P1 with their unique data in the split main memo. I put names as recorded in the census as one of the parts of their split memo, not as a NameVar tag. All members of the household have one of the three enumeration roles “spouse”, “child”, or “Witness” (or the equivalent conclusiion roles "spouseAssumed", "childAssumed", "assumed") to this one tag with their data and their relationship to the HOH in their separate witness memos. The full actual census record is attached as an Exhibit. P2 is required to link to a "pseudo" census person. I do not use separate tags for each year as I use [P2F] for the year in the sentences, and most variable information is in the memos not the sentences. This is usually the only census tag I include in normal narratives. I cannot include the term “child” or “children” in the parents' sentences since TMG (currently?) provides no way to know if there are multiple people assigned to a (child) role, so I use the generic term “offspring”, and the sentences assume that individuals assigned the role “child” are offspring of both the head and the spouse. These sentences use the role variables (including [R:Witness] ) when I want a specific group, and [WO] when I want all witnesses regardless of role. I prefer to have the details of the focus person only print with that person and only identify the spouse and offspring with their specific roles. The nature/relationship of the other members of the household, and the details of all other members, are in their own narratives via their witness memos.

Example narrative output might be: (two different years as HOH, one as a Witness)

Joe Smith was enumerated in the 1880 Census in Chicago, Illinois, on 3 Jun 1880 as head of household with his wife Mrs. Mary Smith and his offspring Robert Smith, Mary Sue Smith, and George Smith, details: W, M, 29, Tanning, 3 months unemployed, born- Ohio, parents born- Ohio. His household also included Mrs. Mary Jane Roe. Emil Ring and Albert B. Conger were included in the household and listed as lodgers. Joseph J. Smith was enumerated in the 1900 Census in Chicago, Illinois, on 11 Jun 1900 as head of household with his wife Mrs. Mary Smith and his offspring George Smith, Louise Smith, and Susan Smith, details: White, Male, age 48 born Oct 1863 in Ohio, married 23 years, father born- Ohio, mother born- Ohio, occ- Bar Tender, rents house. 24 year-old Mary Flannigan was also enumerated with the household as a servant. The 1910 Census in Chicago, Illinios, enumerated J. J. Smith as a father-in-law in the household of Robert P. Jones and Mrs. Mary Sue Jones, details: 59, M, W, widow, b- Ohio, occupation- county surveyor.

The tag elements have the following data:

P1 -- Head of household, assigned the role “Head”

P2 -- Census "pseudo" person identifying this census date and location, assigned the role “Extract”” since I either have a transcription or image for this household attached as an exhibit. These "people" have a naming convention of the Given name identifying the kind of census data, including the year, and use the Given name sentence variables (e.g. [P2G] for what it is, and [P2F] to get the year) of this pseudo person in sentences. The Surname identifies the full location covered by this data, comma separated, beginning with country down to the location detail of this data. I can use Surname name variable in sentences for large to small, and the normal location sentence variables for small to large. Finally, the suffix identifies the range covered by this type of census data. With Given name beginning with the year, and Surname the ordered location from largest to smallest, reports of these "people" can be sorted either by year (by Given name) or by location (by Surname). Example:

Given="1920 Census" Surname="USA, Ohio, Washington County, Adams Township" Suffix="EDs 103-105"

Date -- Only entered if you have an exact actual enumeration date, otherwise left blank

Sort Date -- If no actual date then I use “Jun” of census year because of the sort dates I use for the other types of census tags

Location -- as specified in the census, detail depends on how full you want your Master Place List to be, maybe street address? I choose to lump for the Place List and show location details like the street address only in the Citation Detail.

Main memo -- name of head recorded in census||phrase of the head’s specific census data||sentence of other information to be included only with the head, such as a list of others enumerated but not linked as witnesses||sentence to be appended with head and all Witnesses

spouse role Witness memo -- name recorded in census||phrase of the spouse’s specific census data||optional information about the spouse to follow the word ‘ as ’||sentence of extra information about this spouse of the head of household.

The term “wife” or “husband” is generated automatically in the sentence based on the SEX flag of this witness.

child role Witness memo -- name recorded in census||phrase of this child’s specific census data||required text about the child to follow the word ‘ as ’||sentence of extra information about this child of the head of household.

The text about the child (following the word "as") is usually “ a son ” or “ a daughter ” as enumerated (which sometimes proves to be in error and is entered “ a daughter [sic] ”).

generic Witness role memo -- name recorded in census||phrase of this person’s specific census data||relationship of this witness to the head to follow the word ‘ as ’||sentence of extra information about this witness.

Entering relationship text in the memo precludes the need for separate roles/tags, example text: “ his mother-in-law ”, “ her uncle ”, etc.

spouseAssumed role Witness memo -- name recorded in census, or just ‘ him ’ or ‘ her ’ if unnamed||phrase of the spouse’s specific census data||phrase of the census data that makes you think this is the spouse to follow the word ‘ as ’||sentence of extra information about this spouse.

The term “presumed wife” or “presumed husband” will be based on the SEX flag of this witness. For the relationship data enter a phrase like “ one of the five unspecified family members ” to show count, “ the female 20 to 30 ” to show age category, etc. There will usually be either [WM2] or [WM3] but not both.

childAssumed role Witness memo -- name recorded in census, or just ‘ him ’ or ‘ her ’ or ‘ a child ’ if unnamed||phrase of this child’s specific census data||phrase of the census data that makes you think this is a child of the head to follow the word ‘ as ’||sentence of extra information about this presumed child of the head of household.

In this relationship portion of the memo enter a phrase like “ one of the five unspecified family members ” to show count, “ one of the 3 females under age 5 ” to show age category, etc. There will usually be either [WM2] or [WM3] but not both.

assumed role Witness memo -- name recorded in census, or just ‘ him ’ or ‘ her ’ if unnamed||phrase of this person’s specific census data||phrase of the census data that makes you think this person is enumerated in this household to follow the word ‘ as ’||sentence of extra information about this witness.

In this relationship portion of the memo enter a phrase which will follow the word “ as ”, e.g. “ one of the five unspecified family members ” to show count, “ one of the 3 females under age 5 ” to show age category, etc. There will usually be either [WM2] or [WM3] but not both.

Witness Roles:

spouse or child or Witness

Used for all people named and enumerated with this Head of Household (could use picklist to select all at once then go back and fill in their memos and set their roles). The role “child” is for children of both this head and this spouse, otherwise use “Witness” with appropriate text. For sentences to work, link using the Name-Marr for any women married at this time and enumerated with their married name. If person is only implied by the data (e.g. U.S. census records prior to 1850), use one of the appropriate “assumed” roles instead.

childAssumed or spouseAssumed or assumed

For census enumerations where some aspect of the people in the household is described, but they are not named (e.g. 3 males under age 5), or where they are named but the relationship is not specified (possibly left blank), these custom witness roles are used to link those individuals you believe are the ones enumerated in this household and/or you assume to have these relationships. The role “childAssumed” is for children of both this head and this spouse, otherwise use “assumed” with appropriate text.

Head (P1) sentences

Male:

[M1] was enumerated in the [P2G] in [L]< on [D]> as head of household< with his wife [R:spouse]>< with [R:spouseAssumed] who is presumed to be his wife>< and his offspring [R:child]>< and his presumed offspring [R:childAssumed]><, details: [M2]>.< His household also included [R:Witness].>< His household is also assumed to include [R:assumed].>< [M3].>< [M4]>

Female:

[M1] was enumerated in the [P2G] in [L]< on [D]> as head of household< with her husband [R:spouse]>< with [R:spouseAssumed] who is presumed to be her husband>< and her offspring [R:child]>< and her presumed offspring [R:childAssumed]><, details: [M2]>.< Her household also included [R:Witness].>< Her household is also assumed to include [R:assumed].>< [M3].>< [M4]>

Extract (P2) sentence

[:CR:][:CR:][BOLD:][P2F] Census Enumeration[:BOLD] of the household of [BOLD:][M1][:BOLD] in [L]< on [D]> linked to [P1]< and to [WO]>

spouse role sentences

Male:

The [P2G] in [L]< on [D]> enumerated [WM1] in [P1S] household as her husband< as [WM3]><, details: [WM2]><. [WM4]><. [M4]>

Female:

The [P2G] in [L]< on [D]> enumerated [WM1] in [P1S] household as his wife< as [WM3]><, details: [WM2]><. [WM4]><. [M4]>

child role sentence

The [P2G] in [L]< on [D]> enumerated [WM1] as [WM3] in the household of [P1]< and [R:spouse]><, details: [WM2]>.< [WM4].>< [M4]>

generic Witness role sentence

The [P2G] in [L]< on [D]> enumerated [WM1]< as [WM3]> in the household of [P1]< and [R:spouse]><, details: [WM2]>.< [WM4].>< [M4]>

spouseAssumed role sentences

Male:

The [P2G] in [L]< on [D]> enumerated [WM1] in [P1S] household, presumably her husband<, as [WM3]><, details: [WM2]><. [WM4]><. [M4]>

Female:

The [P2G] in [L]< on [D]> enumerated [WM1] in [P1S] household, presumably his wife<, as [WM3]><, details: [WM2]><. [WM4]><. [M4]>

childAssumed role sentence

The [P2G] in [L]< on [D]> enumerated [WM1] presumably as a child of head of household [P1]< and spouse [R:spouse]> < as [WM3]><, details: [WM2]><. [WM4]><. [M4]>

assumed role sentence

[W] is assumed to be [WM1] who was enumerated< on [D]> in the [P2G] in [L]< as [WM3]> in the household of [P1]< and [R:spouse]><, details: [WM2]><. [WM4]><. [M4]>