I have just deleted a number of people from my database after finding they weren't genetically or maritally (is that a word? <_< ) connected, which is my criteria for entry. Because I had to delete the tags first, some of the marriage partners "escaped" before I realised I should write their surnames down first. Is there a way to search for "orphans" (i.e. names not connected to anyone) in my database of several thousand names?

Daryl

Hi Daryl,

Yes, this is easy. Create a filter and use it either in a List of People report or the Project Explorer.

A filter something like this should work:

# of Children Equals 0 AND

# of Parents Equals 0 AND

# of Spouses Equals 0 END

Hope this gives you ideas,

As a second note, my preference is to leave in my dataset seemingly unrelated people that I have researched and encountered, especially as I often later discover that they are related. If for reports or other purposes you want to restrict output to only related people that is usually very easy in TMG. Both Ancestor and Descendency types of reports are designed to do this. Further, I have set a custom FLAG in my dataset to identify people with my definition of direct relationship so that I can restrict output based on this flag. I urge you to rethink your decision to delete these people as you may regret it later.

Hope this gives you (further) ideas,

Thanks, Michael, I knew there had to be an easy answer, as with most things to do with TMG! To your suggested filters I also added "# of witnessed events" which covers attendants at marriages, etc., that I have named.

In response to your follow-up post, the ones I'm trying to find to delete are, in the main, stand-alone individuals with no other information or sources connected to them; I can't even remember how, or why, they came to be in there in the first place!

I should have said "genetically or maritally connected, which is my" main "criteria for entry". I have a lot of (currently) unrelated names that I feel may become connected at some time, because of locality or unusual spelling, etc., and have them flagged as "Related by=?" with a different accent colour to the "Related by=U", which I use for in-laws (parents, brothers, sisters, etc). Currently, that arrangement suits my purpose.

Edited by daryl edmonds

Thanks, Michael, I knew there had to be an easy answer, as with most things to do with TMG! To your suggested filters I also added "# of witnessed events" which covers attendants at marriages, etc., that I have named.
You are most welcome, and glad that helped. Sorry I forgot that the individual might also just be a Witness and glad you remembered.