clr

Primary Relationship

I am trying the trail version of TMG 7. A person was mistakenly entered as a Mother rather than wife. I

tried to create a project set called testing, so I could move this person and then correct relationship. I was unable to get the trial version to save the additional project set.

Do you have any other ideas how I can correct the relationship?

1. Make sure that the Husband/Son is showing in the Detail Window

2. Double Click on the "Mother" label near the top left hand corner of the the Detail window

3. Record the Mother's number then Delete the "Mother's" ID number from the Parent cell/field so that it is blank and hit OK

You have now removed the Mother / Son-Bio relationship. Now you want to link the "Mother" as a Wife.

4. Hit CTRL M to "Add a Marriage Tag" (there are other ways to do it from the menu - this is the short cut)

5. Change the lower Principal Field/Cell from 0 to the ID Number of the wife (which you recorded in step 3), add in date, place etc if you wish and then hit OK

All should now be well.

It might help to understand the concepts behind TMG. There are People and there are Tags for events and relationships. There really are not "fixed" relationships. There are simply various kinds of Tags that describe different kinds of events and relationships. You choose a tag, like Marriage, to document an event, and then simply link various People to that event, like the two Principals to the marriage and possibly witnesses like the minister, Maid of Honor, and Best Man. Similarly you choose a Relationship Tag, like mother/child, and link the two people that have this relationship.

If you want even more explanation of TMG concepts, I recommend Terry Reigel's web article on the Basic Concepts of TMG.

Hope this helps you understand TMG better,