strathglass

Place fields: what is ADDRESSEE vs. DETAIL for?

I can't find any help info on what goes into the ADDRESSEE field vs. the DETAIL field in a ADDRESS or other tag with an address.

So I was planning to use ADDRESSEE to hold the name of the institution, where relevant (church or school name, etc.).

And where I know the actual street address, I was going to put that info (123 Main Street) in the DETAIL field.

However I notice the reminder for the education tag says to put the institution name in the DETAIL field.

Given this, can anyone recommend how to use ADDRESSEE vs. DETAIL?

Should I just swap my original plans (institute name in DETAIL field, street address in ADDRESSEE)? I kind of feel ADDRESSEE was meant for something else, but I don't know what.

Regards,

Strathglass.

If you look at an Address tag... the Addressee field is the first line of a simple address... the Person's name. The Detail field is the second line of the address... the street number and name. That's the default design. I personally never use the Addressee field except when using an Address tag.

With a tag such as Burial, the Detail field is used for the cemetery name. For a Birth tag, the Detail field might be the Hospital name and perhaps street address (separated by a comma if both are present).

How you use place fields is really up to you; however, you need to keep two things in mind. You should be consistent across place styles to use the same level of a place in the same field. Secondly, filters expect the same level of place level in the same field. For example... If you are constructing styles with custom place levels, you should try to design such that city/town data is always recorded in the same place level.

Thanks Jim - that clarifies it.

But it does leave one question: do you overload the Detail field with the cemetery name (Our Lady of Calvary Roman Catholic Cemetery) AND address (123 Main Street)? If not, you may end up omitting detail.

-strathglass.

Edited by strathglass

The detail field can be divided into 9 subfields so you could have Our Lady of Calvary Roman Catholic Cemetery||Plot 14||123 Main Street

But you don't need to use that feature.

The following works fine...

Our Lady of Calvary Roman Catholic Cemetery, Plot 14, 123 Main Street

Oh, OK - thanks for clarifying Teresa. And I finally found that in the help (but it doesn't explain the "||" feature in any great detail).

Does it matter how I use the up-to-nine subfields in the detail field?

In other words, do I need to worry about consistency of info that goes in each position (like always putting street address in the 3rd field, or whatever)?

Regards,

Strathglass

Help has this (sparcely) under two topics... Data Entry: Places and Variables (Event Tags).

You have to modify the sentence structure to use the place parts. What you include in which place part has to be consistent with the sentence structure.

My view is that, in most cases, this is going out of your way to make things difficult if the text entry into the field is for one place and the parts do not need to be scattered in the sentence.

Put another way... What's the point of:

Our Lady of Calvary Roman Catholic Cemetery||Plot 14||123 Main Street

(which requires a custom sentence)

When you can enter:

(which does not require a custom sentence)

And the intended output is:

Jim,

Thanks forgot about the comma. <G> I just enter them how I want them to print. So if you wanted Plot 14, Our Lady of Calvary... then put it in that way. Or leave off Plot 14, and put that in the memo field. There are so many ways to handle it that you have lots of options. The bad part about putting the plot in the place field, is you will get a different place for each burial. If that doesn't bother you, then don't worry about it. Personally it doesn't really bother me as long as all the places are spelled correctly.

Right. The 'Plot 14' issue is a different issue. I would typically have the cemetery as a source and the 'Plot 14' in the Citation Detail. In effect, the plot number is a page number for the cemetery. And...

"Our Lady of Calvary Roman Catholic Cemetery, 123 Main Street" in the Detail field.