bworcester

Slow performance - 7.0 to 7.1 and now 7.2

I installed the upgrade from 7.0 to 7.1 and noticed a significant slowing down in the performance of TMG, especially when building the exhibit window. I uninstalled 7.1 and reinstalled 7.0 and it was fine. Figured I'd wait for another upgrade. Now I just installed 7.02 and experienced the same performance issues as 7.01. I uninstalled 7.2 and reinstalled 7.0 and everything is fine again. Is anyone else having the same performance issues? I'm running Vista on an AMD 2.1 GHz triple-core processor with 3MB of ram so I don't think it's the machine. Any thoughts out there?

I had trouble going from v. 5 to v. 6 on my computer. It was a fairly fast computer, Wholly Genes could find nothing wrong with my file, it just ran slow. No problems were ever found and then I got a new computer and everything ran fine. I haven't had any problems since.

I would probably recommend re-installing Windows and then installing TMG to see if that helps. It is a big process but I really think it is a Window's issue vs. a TMG issue. Good luck!

I'm also seeing slow performance in TMG, particularly when starting up. It can get so bad that Vista starts to report the application as not responding. It comes back to life if you leave it long enough, but it looks like something is taking its time within TMG and not "listening" to the messages from Windows.

Thanks, Virginia. Check the web site was already set to 0 and check for messages was set to 7 days.

I've also seen this when TMG is creating reports. For example, creating a descendant indented chart with 87 people can take long enough that Vista changes TMG's title bar to show "Not responding". As I put in my earlier reply, this happens when Vista has tried to send an application message to TMG and TMG hasn't reacted in a timely manner. That may be a different "slow performance" issue compared to what other people are reporting, I admit.

What is the gist of the application message that Vista is sending to TMG? The same message each time or different ones?

I was speaking generally from the perspective of how Windows communicates with applications. For example, if you try to interact with an application's window, Vista sends messages to the application to inform it of that interaction. If the application doesn't react to the messages, Vista marks the application as not responding. If the application subsequently "springs to life" and collects the pending messags, the "not responding" flag is cleared.

In the case of TMG, I think it is simply that TMG is hard at work and not multitasking in a smooth manner.

--Philip

I am also getting the "not responding" and then it "springs to life" in Vista Home Premium; 4G RAM; Duo core 2.2Ghz - not a slouchy PC. My TMGW (Gold) has 33,660 names in it. Any suggestions about things to do to improve performance?

Thanks! Jenny