Sign in to follow this  
johnb

7.02 Copy census tags problem

When I copy a census tag in v 7.02 and then change the Principal person in the non-primary copy the version in the record of the changed principal is also shown as a non-primary tag. In earlier versions of TMG that copied and re-assigned tag showed as a primary tag.

(Changing the Principal person in the primary tag also results in the entry of the changed principal is also showing as a non-primary tag).

The current rule is:

With the exception of conflicts...

1) The primary status of a tag should only be set when a tag is created.

2) Editing should never change the primary status of a tag.

I can see the argument for your example one above since the tag is, in effect, being 'created' for the new principal(s).

Example two should not have happened unless a primary tag of the same tag type already existed (with the same principal links) and is a bug.

The current rule is:

With the exception of conflicts...

1) The primary status of a tag should only be set when a tag is created.

2) Editing should never change the primary status of a tag.

I can see the argument for your example one above since the tag is, in effect, being 'created' for the new principal(s).

Example two should not have happened unless a primary tag of the same tag type already existed (with the same principal links) and is a bug.

As I stated, for example one, v6 of TMG assigned the Census tag with the changed Principal as primary in the new Principal. So there has been a change in operation between v6 and 7.02 (I've a feeling v7.01 worked the same way as v6)

As I stated, for example one, v6 of TMG assigned the Census tag with the changed Principal as primary in the new Principal. So there has been a change in operation between v6 and 7.02 (I've a feeling v7.01 worked the same way as v6)

That's correct. I stated the current rules above. The rules were standardized because the primary status of tags was being changed by editing when it should not have been changed.

That's correct. I stated the current rules above. The rules were standardized because the primary status of tags was being changed by editing when it should not have been changed.

But it is still being changed. If I edit a primary event tag and change the Principal the tag recorded under that new Principal is no longer a primary event tag.

There no longer seems to be an easy way to create a census tag, copy multiple tags versions of that tag, edit those copies for other individuals in the family. It is necessary to go to each of those individuals and re-set the primary tag.