Sign in to follow this  
GenerationGoneBy

Research Log-List of Tasks

When printing a list of tasks, we can print the memo for the tag, and the memo for the task, but not the memo for the repository. I store information about the repository in the memo field that is very useful for that repository. Having it print on a list of tasks would be very helpful to me, since I sometimes have my husband look up tasks for me and the repository memo is a good place to put information about that specific repository (like directions to an archives, whether the librarian is helpful, who to ask for, hours of operation, etc)

Here's an example task:

Deed-Index Book B (covering Books 7-part of 11)-Not Found

Deed: between 1854 and 1861 Burnett Victory; Rutherford County, TN

Repository: Rutherford County, TN Direct and Indirect Index Volumes A-D and 4 1842-1890, Rutherford County, TN, Direct and Indirect Index Volumes A-D and 4 1842-1890, Roll 103, Tennessee State Library and Archives, Nashville TN

-------------

Designed: 25 Apr 2008

Copied: 26 Apr 2008

Transcribed: 26 Apr 2008

Scanned: 26 Apr 2008

Keywords: R103

Memo: The only Victory (all spellings) found was Winright Vickry. Not yet sure if he is related to our Burnett.

What I would like for it to print is:

Deed-Index Book B (covering Books 7-part of 11)-Not Found

Deed: between 1854 and 1861 Burnett Victory; Rutherford County, TN

Repository: Rutherford County, TN Direct and Indirect Index Volumes A-D and 4 1842-1890, Rutherford County, TN, Direct and Indirect Index Volumes A-D and 4 1842-1890, Roll 103, Tennessee State Library and Archives, Nashville TN

Repository Memo:

This roll is the index to :

1st Volume: Rolls 109-114

Volume A: Roll 116-Part of 118 (roll 115 apparently isn't indexed)

Volume B: Part of 118- Part of 120

Volume C: 121-Part of 122

Volume D:Part of 122-125

Volume 4: 126-Part of 130

-------------

Designed: 25 Apr 2008

Copied: 26 Apr 2008

Transcribed: 26 Apr 2008

Scanned: 26 Apr 2008

Keywords: R103

Memo: The only Victory (all spellings) found was Winright Vickry. Not yet sure if he is related to our Burnett.

NOTE: The words Copied, Transcribed, and Scanned were changed in the LANGUAGE file for ENGLISH2. Your results will differ.

Hi Teresa,

I haven't seen any other comments so thought I would. I understand your desire for this enhancement, especially due to the way you choose to use films as TMG Repositories. I agree it would be nice as an optional output field. However, I think those of us that typically use locations (like Libraries) as TMG Repositories don't notice this since we probably have so few repositories.

I know it is not the same, but since the List of Repositories report does print the Repository memo, maybe that report filtered for "Number of Incomplete Tasks greater than zero" would be useful?

My pet peeves about reports focus on the small amount of data that you can input into TMG but has no report that will output that data. We each have different priorities on our wishlists for enhancements. :rolleyes:

Michael,

I looked at the List Of Repositories, but there's no way to print the tasks attached to the repository. I need the list of tasks. But the repository memo is an important part of my research, and I also need for it to print on the List of Tasks as well.

I also did not see a way on the List of Repositories to print the repository memo. Is there a tab I am overlooking?

I don't see why it would be hard to add the Repository memo field to the List of tasks. If it were an option, I could use it, others could chose not to. I'm not picky about where on the form it prints, I just chose right after the repository information, since that made the most sense to me. I just need the information to better help me organize tasks.

I looked at the List Of Repositories, but there's no way to print the tasks attached to the repository.
That's true. The LOR only prints Repository data.

I also did not see a way on the List of Repositories to print the repository memo.
For me the memo simply prints, no option. Didn't it for you?

[edited by Michael] Golly, don't know what I was looking at :wacko: but it does not print the memo.

My assumption for this "work-around" was to print two reports: your current List of Tasks, plus this filtered LOR. The Task report shows the Repository ID number to which it is linked for cross-reference to the memo in the LOR report. This also avoids duplicating the Repository memo for every task to which it is linked. This may be either good or bad depending on the quantity of different Repositories you have relative to the number of tasks.

At least that was my idea? :unsure:

Edited by Michael Hannah
To correct my erroneous statement