kalql8n

Add New Son/Daughter Error

Hello-

In Version 7.1-7.3 when I go to the menu and do the following Add->Son or Daughter->Select a second parent and click OK, I get the following three errors.

1 - Unknown member COLUMN4 10 FRMADDPERSON.GRDPERSONLIST1.RESIZE (I click Ignore to bypass)

2 - Operator/operand type mismatch 12 FRMADDPERSON.GRDPERSONLIST1.RESIZE (I click Ignore to bypass)

3 - Data type is invalid for this property 13 FRMADDPERSON.GRDPERSONLIST1.RESIZE (I click Ignore to bypass)

Any ideas and/or fixes? I was hoping 7.3 would fix this.

Scott Schaffer

sschaffer@socal.rr.com

Try resetting the Add Person template to fix this.

1) Add / Unrelated / Male

2) On the Add Person screen, click [setup]

3) Click [Reset template]

4) Click [OK]

5) Click [Cancel]

Now see if the issue has been fixed.

I have a similar problem... any time I add someone new.

I have to select ignore each time to get to the "Add Person" window.

If I select anything else the program hangs.

I attempted to enter Setup and reset the template as described to no avail. Same set of errors continues to happen.

One additional thing that I noticed is that it appears that an additional blank field appears to be in the template... Title, GrivenName, Surname, Suffix, "Blank", Date, Detail, ....

I have no idea how this blank field got inserted. But assuming that there is an underlying database and the fileds start counting at 0 this looks like it might be the correct spot.

You sure resetting the template didn't work?

The strange entry is a style. Check the style settings on the template screen.

Pretty sure.... This is wha I did...

Select Add / Unrelated

Causes the first pop up: ErrorMarker: Unknown member COLUMN4. 10 FRMADDPERSON.GRDPERSONLIST1.RESIZE

Select Ignore

Causes the second pop up: ErrorMarker: Operator/operand type mismatch. 12 FRMADDPERSON.GRDPERSONLIST1.RESIZE

Select Ignore

Causes the third pop up: ErrorMarker: Data type is invalid for this property. 13 FRMADDPERSON.GRDPERSONLIST1.RESIZE

Select Ignore

Causes request of sex for new person pop up

Select Male

Causes Add Person pop up

Select Setup

Causes Add Person Template pop up

Select Reset Template

Causes all information (Type, Field and Value) in Add Person pop up to be cleared

Select OK

Causes Add Person Template pop up to close

Type and Field information reappears in Add Person pop up

Select Cancel on Add Person pop up

Add Person pop up closes

The I try to add a new person

Select Add / Unrelated

Causes: ErrorMarker: Unknown member COLUMN4. 10 FRMADDPERSON.GRDPERSONLIST1.RESIZE

Didn't appear to work. :(

Try resetting the Add Person template to fix this.

1) Add / Unrelated / Male

2) On the Add Person screen, click [setup]

3) Click [Reset template]

4) Click [OK]

5) Click [Cancel]

Now see if the issue has been fixed.

Good idea, but it definitely doesn't fix the problem. Tried it. I have the exact same problem, but in my case I know how it was created. When I pulled up the Add Person screen for the millionth time, I wanted to resize it so I could see more rows, particularly the marriage row which isn't completely visible without scrolling. I attempted to pull down the lower edge of the window and the program crashed. The only thing that could be selected anywhere was the menu File / Printer Setup, as if the Add Person window was still active. Everything else was grayed out, and nothing on the screen would work. Had to kill the program with the Task Manager. So the problem is definitely initiated by trying to resize the window, hence the error message that states that.

Now that I have the problem, though, I'm stuck with hitting the "Ignore" button multiple times to get through the error messages every time I add someone, so a fix for this would be appreciated. I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 if that's relevant, and I have plenty of screen real estate to enlarge windows. I tried Maintenance / Validate File Integrity and Maintenance / Reindex to no avail. This has definitely wrecked the program, so a fix, hopefully short of a full reinstallation would be appreciated. Thanks.

I hope this can be fixed... I hate to just stop work but hitting ignore on errors is somewhat disturbing I'm not sure if I'm digging a hole or not. I don't want to end up having to reenter data later. Also I usually copy some data to paste in my references and that gets wiped out by the error messages so this is increasing my data entry time more than just clicking on ignore 3 times.

I hope this can be fixed... I hate to just stop work but hitting ignore on errors is somewhat disturbing I'm not sure if I'm digging a hole or not. I don't want to end up having to reenter data later. Also I usually copy some data to paste in my references and that gets wiped out by the error messages so this is increasing my data entry time more than just clicking on ignore 3 times.

Yeah, normally hitting Ignore doesn't work very well and causes cascading errors in most programs. Once you get an error like this, you start getting bizarre errors everywhere. However, this error doesn't seem to be affecting the data at all--I keep checking and so far I haven't lost anything, so I think this is one of those rare times when it's more of an annoyance than stopping things cold.

I don't see why copying something to the clipboard would be affected by the error, though. If you're losing something you've copied with CTRL-C to the clipboard, just copy it to a blank Word (or whatever) document, and select it and copy it back after you get past the error. I'm sure this error isn't so dastardly that it's spreading to your other software! :rolleyes:

Try this since one description seems to be related to resizing the screen, not to customizing the template.

Edit the app.ini with Notepad.

WinXP

C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

WinVista

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7\app.ini

Replace the Add Person screen settings with the default values...

[OtherWindows]

frmapselectorTop=0

frmapselectorLeft=0

frmapselectorHeight=308

frmapselectorWidth=512

frmapselectorState=0

See what that does.

On the other hand, if the issue is the template, the only solution is going to be resetting the template.

If nothing else works, I'm going to need to see the projects.

Try this since one description seems to be related to resizing the screen, not to customizing the template.

WinXP

C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

WinVista

[OtherWindows]

frmapselectorTop=0

frmapselectorLeft=0

frmapselectorHeight=308

frmapselectorWidth=512

frmapselectorState=0

See what that does.

On the other hand, if the issue is the template, the only solution is going to be resetting the template.

OK, it wasn't clear from your post whether the defaults above were simply some sort of defaults, or whether those were the actual line for the Add Person screen. After searching for ALL the screen definitions in the app.ini file, I believe that "apselector" is in fact the Add Person form in question. Mine has exactly those default values that you've shown. I can't swear that my screen is or is not that size right now, but since the system blew up when I tried to resize it, I'm thinking that the size actually didn't change. I just now have a permanent 3 error condition associated with this one screen.

This was an excellent idea, though, and I appreciate it, even though it didn't work.

Are we at the point where you should look at the project, and if so, what's the best way to do that? I'm more than willing to send it to help get this resolved. Back it up and email that somewhere? Thanks for your help.

WinXP

WinVista

[OtherWindows]

frmapselectorTop=0

frmapselectorLeft=0

frmapselectorHeight=308

frmapselectorWidth=512

frmapselectorState=0

See what that does.

OK, it wasn't clear from your post whether the defaults above were simply some sort of defaults, or whether those were the actual line for the Add Person screen. After searching for ALL the screen definitions in the app.ini file, I believe that "apselector" is in fact the Add Person form in question. Mine has exactly those default values that you've shown. I can't swear that my screen is or is not that size right now, but since the system blew up when I tried to resize it, I'm thinking that the size actually didn't change. I just now have a permanent 3 error condition associated with this one screen.

This was an excellent idea, though, and I appreciate it, even though it didn't work.

Are we at the point where you should look at the project, and if so, what's the best way to do that? I'm more than willing to send it to help get this resolved. Back it up and email that somewhere? Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately I did not even find the file.

Maybe the file isn't visible but I can not find C:\Users\your user name\AppData much less the subtending directories.

I am running windows vista home premium edition.

Mark

Unfortunately I did not even find the file.

Maybe the file isn't visible but I can not find C:\Users\your user name\AppData much less the subtending directories.

I am running windows vista home premium edition.

From the Data File Storage topic in help...

"For your information: By default, Windows hides the Shared Program Data Folder and the User Program Data Folder, so you must select 'Show hidden files and folders' on the Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / View tab in order to browse the folders using Windows Explorer. Windows Help should walk you through enabling this option if you click on the Windows Desktop, press the key to open Windows help and search for 'show hidden files'."

Rather than editing the app.ini... Put the attached default app.ini into the user program data folder replacing the existing file.

appini.zip

I can reproduce the error in the Beginner mode of data entry (Preferences > Data Entry). For those with the problem, try the Advanced mode.

The problem may also be connected to first turning off the Preference option 'Use buttons for Add/Edit/Delete/Primary on the Details window'. Did the people with the problem also turn off that option? Maybe that is the 'resize' in the error message. Reverting that option, however, does not clear the problem.

I was able to fix the problem by overwriting my app.ini with the zipped full copy attached to the previous message. Replacing just the frmapselector values did not help.

Virginia

Edited by Virginia Blakelock

Going to File>Preferences>Other and checking the Use the TMG 5/6 windows resizing option cured this for me.

I tried the edits but they failed and I did not want to use the new .ini file which would have reset everything.

It appears the problem is a resizing issue that is interacting with some other settings since I do not have this problem on my

laptop install.

Evan