Robert Jacobs

Need tag suggestions for unmarriede couples

A cousin is part of a couple who are living together and are having children together but who have not married. I would be most grateful for any suggestions for a suitable tag and sentences for such a situation. Thanks so much.

formerprof

This issue often arises and the suggestions vary considerably depending on the sensitivity and nature of the relationship and on your purpose for gathering and reporting family data. Are you reporting "legally recognized famlies", "family history" or "genetics"? What makes this situation difficult to record is that the answer is usually "yes"! :lol:

I suggest you review this earlier post on the TMG 6 Forum for suggestions made previously on this topic. If you still have questions, please ask.

Hope this gives you ideas,

I don't record a relationship between the couple at all. Just make the man the father, and the woman the mother to the children.

The journal will then print:

Betty Jones was born...

Betty Jones was on census...

Betty Jones died..

Betty Jones and Bill Smith had the following children.

A.

B.

C.

That way you aren't assuming a relationship that wasn't there. It works for me. If they specify a certain relationship, i. e. common law marriage, then I would use a tag and create a relationship, but otherwise I don't.

As I said, you will find lots of different ways to do this, each to suit one's own needs. Teresa"s approach works great for the output, but my elderly brain would come back later and wonder if I just forgot the Marriage tag. :huh: Thus I like to record something for myself (and possibly others) of what I know about the relationship, even if just a Note tag that I exclude from printing, especially if I actually know that they were not married.

But that is just what works for me. :D

Thank you, Michael & Teresa. I appreciate your suggestions, and the URL of the earlier discussions on the subject. I am doing mostly family history; the relationship I spoke of is long-term and the couple in question, and their children, are part of the extended family in every sense. I think that a "Partners" tag, as suggested in the earlier correspondence is best suited to this situation.

I'm very grateful for your help.

formerprof