cmin

Journal Report

I'm creating a book from TMG 7.03 into Word Perfect for editing. What I want is the following:

If the parents are in generation 3 and their children are listed, I want all the children to be listed in generation 4 not just those that have had children. Is this an option?

Thanks,

Carol

I'm afraid not. That's been requested as an enhancement from time to time, but has not yet appeared.

The only solution for now is to add a fake child to the person, then remove that child in the word processor afterwords. Trouble with that is it messes up the numbering of the following children. This is discussed in the "Source Notes, and Children Without Issue" section of my article on Producing a “Publishable” Article.

I'm afraid not. That's been requested as an enhancement from time to time, but has not yet appeared.

The only solution for now is to add a fake child to the person, then remove that child in the word processor afterwords. Trouble with that is it messes up the numbering of the following children. This is discussed in the "Source Notes, and Children Without Issue" section of my article on Producing a “Publishable” Article.

Terry,

Thanks for your quick reply. I've used TMG for many years and would like to request this enhancement unfortunately I need this option now. Is there a way, to create a list of the descendants of my ancestor that do not have children? After I learn how many do not have children--then I might consider creating fake children!! I guess I can handle the number system being off--kinda but not really!

Thanks,

Carol

To find these people without children you might try a List of People report with a Report Filter of:

Is a Descendant of ID # ? AND

# of Children =Equals 0 END

I created the report of descendants of my Henry without children. The report listed 400+ names of those without children--far too many for me to add fake children. Is there someway to add fake children to this group of 400+ without adding them individually? Does anyone have any other ideas?

I have used TMG for over 12 years and think it is a great genealogy program!! But I can't believe that children aren't carried to the next generation unless they have children!!! HELP!!! I'm ready to work on my 2nd genealogy book and am very frustrated!!!

Thanks,

Carol

I created the report of descendants of my Henry without children. The report listed 400+ names of those without children--far too many for me to add fake children. Is there someway to add fake children to this group of 400+ without adding them individually? Does anyone have any other ideas?
Carol,

Sorry, but I am unable to think of any way. You cannot even using John Cardinal's TMG Utility program feature to "Add Events' in a batch manner as that will only add events to existing people, not add new people or make relationships.

... I can't believe that children aren't carried to the next generation unless they have children!
Sorry, Carol, but this is all part of the Report generation side of TMG. I believe that TMG implemented a selection of "standard" reports, each of which may have some of options. However, anything beyond this is left to customization "after the fact" in your Word Processor. As I understand it, the "standard" report that TMG implemented is not to carry people to the next generation, since the purpose in "that" standard of being listed in a generation seems to be to provide a place to list the "next" generation. That is why the details of the people without issue are filled out with their only listing as children, and the people who have issue have their details postponed until the "next" generation when their issue is listed. You may not like this particular "standard", but it is the only one that TMG implemented. As Terry mentioned, an enhanced option has been requested.

Sorry, but we can't think of any other way to do this. It seems your only choices to creating a "non-TMG-standard" descendants report are to modify either the database or report manually yourself, either by adding "fake" children or by cutting and pasting all these people into the subsequent generation in the report after the fact. In your case of over 400 children either approach will be very tedious.

All we can offer is sympathy, sorry,