Zapnyou

TMG & iphone

I finally broke down and replaced my Palm Treo 650 phone/pda with an iphone. This also meant I had to find a replacement for the Palm app GedStar Pro. I did find an app called FamViewer that will take a TMG gedcom and convert it to a "Family Sheet" view for the iphone and include person, family and sources views. It is not perfect yet. There were a few glitches with TMG's default gedcom file conversion. However, the developer is more than happy to work with me to make it better. He immediately made some changes so it would work better. Unfortunately, it does not have the "look" that I had with GedStar Pro (which of course, is the look that I have with TMG). Nor does it have the ability to have pics or other exhibits, yet.

FamViewer

http://www.astersoftware.biz/

Does anyone else have a clue to whether TMG, GedStar Pro, or Pocket Genealogist is planning to do an app for the iphone?

Thanks!

Edited by Jim Byram

Companion products for TMG are usually developed by people other than the folks at Wholly Genes. You might review the forum about the PDA-type Companion products and contact those people directly about their future plans. I have not seen anything on the TMG forums suggesting anyone is considering such a companion product, but often such plans are kept hidden until a product can be announced.

Companion products for TMG are usually developed by people other than the folks at Wholly Genes. You might review the forum about the PDA-type Companion products and contact those people directly about their future plans. I have not seen anything on the TMG forums suggesting anyone is considering such a companion product, but often such plans are kept hidden until a product can be announced.

Thanks Michael for your suggestion! I will try that.

Reunion has just released an iPhone app. You have to have Reunion on a Mac. Then it will sync that Mac file with your iPhone over your home network. It's pretty slick. What I've been doing is to export my TMG GEDCOM file to a Buffalo NAS that I have online and then import it into Reunion on my MAC. The rest is a snap. Just fire up your iPhone Reunion app, and viola -- you've got your whole GEDCOM on your iPhone in a very nice interface. However, while Reunion for the iPhone will do photos, you have to import them separately since GEDCOM is only text-based.

P.S. I'm still basically a Windows guy, but I've been dabbling on the "dark side" here recently since both of my daughters and my son-in-law are big Mac advocates.