strathglass

GEDCOM export bug: image TITL erroneously truncated?

Here is a line from my GEDCOM output from TNG 7.03:

2 TITL PHOTO-CHISHOLM-Finlay (b.1858-

This is a truncated version of the full file name, which is "PHOTO-CHISHOLM-Finlay (b.1858-03-25 d.1931-06-18), Portrait.jpg".

All such TITL lines for JPEG images seem to be cut off at 30 characters for some reason.

Why is TMG truncating this? Seems like a bug to me.

Regards,

Strathglass.

The TITL tag comes from the Exhibit properties / General tab / Topic field which is only 30 characters in length.

The NOTE tag comes from the Exhibit properties / Description tab / Caption field which is a memo and can be as long as needed.

The Topic field is basically used fror identifying exhibits in the Exhibit Log. The Caption field is used for the output caption (for person images).

Thanks again Jim!

I'll have to write a script to parse the GEDCOM to pluck the file leaf name and plug it into the TITL field, as that is what I really want.

Regards,

Strathglass.

You can do that, but beware that the GEDCOM 5.5 standard has a max length of 248 characters for a single line TITL field, so whatever program ultimately accepts this GEDCOM is allowed to truncate at that length. It may not truncate, but then again it may. Just a heads-up.