Roadrunner

Newbie question about Residence Tag

Hi, if a family moves from one residence to another, how do I register that. Do you only use Residence Tag and register between two dates or are there any Tag for moving from/to different residence?

/Ulf

Roadrunner,

In my database, the answer is "It depends." If they are moving with the same city or geographic area (Washington DC area or all around the Eastern Shore of MD/VA, I just use residence tags. However, I use the migration tag when they move any distance and modify the tag sentence, via roles or individual customizations, to vary the verb and/or sentence structure. My father's side migrated westward in various jumps and starts: PA > OH > OH > IA >MO and OH > IN > OH > MO and MA > NH > PA >OH > MI > KS > CA and MA > NY > OH > MI > KS and PA > KY > OH > IL > KS > CA, just to mention a few... Using only "migrated" would get quite monotonous...

Regards,

Jan

Hi Roadrunner! [since I live in New Mexico I like your username B) ]

To echo what Jan said, the beauty of TMG is that you use tags like the Residence tag however you want to! For example, you could have multiple Residence tags and use a date “range” in the tag date with an explanation in the memo. TMG has two modifiers to a date to indicate a range: “Between”, and “From...To”. Or make your own custom tags to do it “your way”, which is what I do.

My way to record changing residence information is to use two customized tags. I don't use the standard Residence tag. I renamed as “ResideOrig” and inactivated the standard Residence tag type in the “Other” group and made a custom tag type named ResidedAddress in the Address group. My custom sentences expect an “Address” tag to indicate where they are now or associated with a single particular date. My custom “ResidedAddress” tag records where they once lived for a defined period of time with a beginning and end, or with a prefix like “before” or “after” associated with a known beginning or ending date range. Having these two tag types in the same group allows a “now” or “single date” to very simply be changed to “then” or a date “range”, by changing the tag type. Due to my usage, I made Location and Date required entries for these tag types, and my sentences reflect that. For both of these tags I use a split memo to fit further information in my custom sentences.

The real question is, what do you want to record about residences? Then make your tags do that.

Thank's Jan and Michael for your kind reply.

I now understand that TMG ia a very flexible tool, so I have to think about what I really want to record.

Regards,

Ulf