dorothy louise

Sending files to new computer

I have installed TMG on my new laptop. I have always backed up all my files onto floppy disks. The new laptop does not a floppy port, so I backed up onto a CD. The laptop doesn't seem to be able to read the CD. Advice from tech support was to simply email the files from old PC to myself and open them on the laptop, so I did that. However, although the files seem to have come through, they don't open properly. Now the message that comes up is "The compressed (zipped) folder is invalid or corrupted." Another message comes up saying "The file C:\MyProject. . . [etc.}. . . N.DBF does not appear to be valid PJC file!!!" [The 3 exclamation marks are in the message, not added by me.] Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong and how I can move the files from the old computer to the new one? Both run on XP. Thanks.

Welcome Dorothy Louise,

I am not sure what exact steps you took to get this error? What files did you e-mail to yourself? How did you try to "Open" the project. What works best is to do a backup of your project within TMG (don't do a Windows backup of the dozens of files that constitute a project). That TMG backup action produces a single file with an extension of ".sqz". Move that one file from your old computer to the main hard drive on your new one. Then, do not "open" this file, but "restore" this one project file. That should work just fine (unless you have lots of external exhibits in a structure of subfolders).

If you still have problems, ask. One of us users will be happy to try to help. :D

P.S. You posted this to the Version 6 forum. Are you still on Version 6? There are many new valuable features in Version 7. You should consider upgrading?

Welcome Dorothy Louise,

I am not sure what exact steps you took to get this error? What files did you e-mail to yourself? How did you try to "Open" the project. What works best is to do a backup of your project within TMG (don't do a Windows backup of the dozens of files that constitute a project). That TMG backup action produces a single file with an extension of ".sqz". Move that one file from your old computer to the main hard drive on your new one. Then, do not "open" this file, but "restore" this one project file. That should work just fine (unless you have lots of external exhibits in a structure of subfolders).

If you still have problems, ask. One of us users will be happy to try to help. :D

P.S. You posted this to the Version 6 forum. Are you still on Version 6? There are many new valuable features in Version 7. You should consider upgrading?

Thanks for your informative reply, Michael. My backup is, as you recommend, within TMG (not Windows) and does have the .sqz extension. So far, so good. What I did first was to install the TMG program in the laptop. Next (as per tech support's suggestion) I emailed the .sqz file from the old pc and received it on the new laptop. It arrives just fine and has the little zipper symbol beside it. This is where the trouble starts. How, exactly, do I move the zipped file into the TMG program. I clicked on Download --- this was the right thing to do, yes? I don't see a Restore command anywhere except in the "empty" TMG program. Is there a way to drag/drop the .sqz file into TMG?

At one point I clicked on Extract and ended up with a screen full of the program's icons, so I know the file is in there somewhere. What I don't get is how to move the .sqz file into the newly installed program.

As to your PS, yes, I do intend to upgrade to V.7 but I want to get the above task accomplished first.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Dorothy Louise

Dorothy Louise -

The Backup (.sqz file) should be restored from within TMG by using File / Restore - just as you backed up the project by using File / Backup. You do not need to or want to extract the files, just open TMG, click on File / Restore and follow the steps in the Restore Wizard. Or if you have TMG set to open with the Welcome Window, click the Restore button there.

Virginia

How, exactly, do I move the zipped file into the TMG program. I clicked on Download --- this was the right thing to do, yes? I don't see a Restore command anywhere except in the "empty" TMG program.

Yes? That's where it is. You made a backup in TMG. Now you need to make a Restore within TMG. It's really that simple. :)