camfam

Export individual and their ancestry

My wife's cousin, many times removed, has provided a GEDCOM of his research, including citations and media to me. I have successfully imported it into TMG v7 Gold. I want to extract my wife and her ancestors from the data. OR the reverse, I want to remove all not in a direct linage to my wife.

How do you select a individual and their ancestors for export OR delete all others from the data?

You use the Project Explorer and filters to collect the group for export. You might need to use a flag with multiple filters if many collaterals are needed. As you collect the individuals, you can add them to a focus group. Once the focus group is collected, you can export those people to GEDCOM.

The first step might be to filter the Project Explorer with a simple filter like this...

ID number = (your wife) OR

Is an Ancestor of ID # (your wife) END

In a more complex case, you can create a custom flag and use the List of People report with a similar filter to set the flag for those people. Then you can use the List of People report to add collaterals based on that flag setting. Once all individuals have that flag setting, you can filter the Project Explorer using that flag and export the people in the Project Explorer or add those people to a focus group and then export the people in the focus group.

In most cases, you can collect the people you want with no need to create a new temporary data set for export.

It's easlier than it sounds and if you need help with specific conditions, ask and you will get an answer.

My wife's cousin, many times removed, has provided a GEDCOM of his research, including citations and media to me. I have successfully imported it into TMG v7 Gold. I want to extract my wife and her ancestors from the data. OR the reverse, I want to remove all not in a direct linage to my wife.

How do you select a individual and their ancestors for export OR delete all others from the data?

Jim has given you a good overview of your options.

A specific procedure, if I understand your message, properly: Open your wife’s cousin’s TMG dataset that you have already created. Access your wife’s record. Click on the Focus Group icon in the TMG tool bar. Removal All remnants of any previous Focus Group.

Then, Add Individual… your wife. Click to check Ancestors. Enter the number of desired generations, usually 40 will do, beyond that is largely mythology. Uncheck descendants and spouses. Check name variations, if desired. Click on add others, a list of names of only your wife’s ancestors is created. Save and name your wife’s Focus Group.

Select Report in the TMG tool bar. Click List of…, click people. Follow the wizard and fill in the blanks specifying use auxiliary output employing your wife’s named Focus Group, just created above. Your new separate dataset containing only your wife and her ancestors will be generated. There is no need to generate an intermediate GEDCOM.

Also keep cousin’s unaltered dataset as a reference, if practical. As Jim alluded, it’s all easier done than said.

Good luck,

Mike Talbot