kahuja

Data file storage

I got a new laptop and installed TMG, my husband went through to clean up my files and noticed the TMG files in their default paths. he moved and deleted some: for example i cannot find this file path anywhere-

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

or the user data files path

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

needless to say i have a multitude of problems, backups dont work, restores dont work, i thought it was Vista

i was reading thru some topics and noticed this data file storage and looked thru the help content;

now i see these file paths are missing......what should i do? my husband said he will make the paths and fix it but i am afraid, should i uninstall and reinstall? or is it simple enough to make the paths?

any suggestions from the computer experts would be appreciated

Thanks

Kristina

If the data file folders do not exist, when you run TMG7, they will be created.

If the folders exist but the contents have been deleted, the folders need to be deleted before they will be recreated.

What I said above. When you install TMG7 and run it the first time, three data file folders will be created. Read the 'Data File Storage' topic in help. You are really only concerned about the user data file folder where you will locate your projects in folders under the Projects folder.

As Jim said, you really only need to know where the User Data Files (which includes your projects) are stored. If you want to verify the other folders are there, I have listed them below for Windows Vista. Note that 'Username' would be, for example 'Kristina'.

The Shared Program Data Files folder may be 'hidden' in Windows Explorer. There are instructions for showing hidden files here.

Shared Program Data Files:

C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

User Program Data Files:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

User Data Files:

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

Let us know if you still can't find them. If your husband deleted the folders, TMG will notice it and will create new folders the next time you run it. TMG is looking for files in the default locations I listed above, so you don't want to change those locations. Vista is more particular than WinXP about where program files and user files are located, so it's a good idea to leave things where TMG put them.

Virginia

ok, i was just trying to figure out why my backups dont work, and restores are always corrupted, i have so many issues on my new laptop but everything works fine on my old desktop that has xp on, it is just slow, whereas my laptop is very fast but does not seem to cooperate with TMG at all

thank you,

didnt realize there was hidden files,

ok they are there,

back to the drawing board......to find out why things arent working right

Kristina - it occurred to me that maybe you are backing up or restoring to a thumb drive and that is why you are having backup/restore problems. That doesn't seem to work for everyone - maybe a difference in computers - so if you are having that problem, make your backup to your hard drive and then copy the backup .sqz file to your thumb drive (or CD - whatever external media you are using). Same when restoring - copy the .sqz file to your hard drive and restore from there.

Virginia

no there is something wrong with the compression on the sqz files, they rarely open to be restored, they are on my hard drive, i finally gave up after 3 months and loosing lots of work, so now i just copy my current working file to my thumb drive and too my external drive, so i have a duplicate in case something happens, but i am desparately trying to find out why this happens, my sqz files should work and be reliable,

on my desktop where i am running xp, everything works fine, but surely i am not the only one using vista and have restoring problems, so i guess it is not vista, but cannot figure out what it is.

it is just frustrating

thanks

any ideas would be helpful

Kristina