TutuBonnie

Source type defaults to wrong type

Is it me or a bug? Running lastest version of TMG7 (or so the update screens tell me) on Windows Vista. When I select the ELECTRONIC WEB SITE source type, the software defaults to DISSERTATION. Naturally, it waits until all information is entered and the new source is closed, so doesn't get found until I call the source again and pay attention to what the source screen says. I've tried changing the source type in the old screen. No dice. Tried creating a new source. Saves as ELECTRONIC WEB SITE, but re-opens as DISSERTATION. Tried merging the old source (dissertation) with a new one (electronic web site). Got a dissertation. :unsure: If it's me, what am I doing wrong? Has anyone else had this experience? Your solution? ---Bonnie Stevens

Hi Bonnie,

Hmmm.... I am trying to understand what you are seeing. Could you be a bit more explicit as to what actions (the exact sequence of buttons you click, etc.) you take to get to where you "select the ELECTRONIC WEB SITE source type". Then what do you do and where are you seeing the name "DISSERTATION". Also, what kind of source categories are you using? This is shown in Preferences > Current Project Options > Other > Source categories. It is not clear to me whether you are adding a source type, editing an existing source type, adding a new source, adding a new citation, or what. I 'think" you are adding a new source, but am not sure.

Hi Bonnie,

Hmmm.... I am trying to understand what you are seeing. Could you be a bit more explicit as to what actions (the exact sequence of buttons you click, etc.) you take to get to where you "select the ELECTRONIC WEB SITE source type". Then what do you do and where are you seeing the name "DISSERTATION". Also, what kind of source categories are you using? This is shown in Preferences > Current Project Options > Other > Source categories. It is not clear to me whether you are adding a source type, editing an existing source type, adding a new source, adding a new citation, or what. I 'think" you are adding a new source, but am not sure.

I am using custom source categories, but have only added a couple related to land ownership which do not apply here. They work properly.

Task: Create new citation source, where data comes from an electronic website that is NOT an email, family file or image.

Steps: Open tag, open citation tab, click + to add citation. Click + and the Source Type Selection Screen opens. Scroll down to Electronic Web Site. Source Category at the top of that screen says "custom", but it says the same thing for any entry in the list. Click Select.

Alternatively, open the Master Source File and create the source there. Same results.

---At this point I have a new source definition screen with the Source Type "Electronic Web Site" Fill in blanks, add pertinent supplemental material and attachments, including repositories. Click OK to save source.

New Task: Assign source to a specific tag.

Steps: Open appropriate tag. Scroll through source list to desired source -- the one created as described above. Everything works beautifully -- except that if I take the time to actually look at the source definitions, the source type has changed from "Electronic Web Site" to "Dissertation". It does this consistently whenever the source type is designated as "Electronic Web Site". I checked several sources to be sure.

Since I have successfully added custom source types which do not change to something else, I know I can create them properly.

Now what?

Edited by TutuBonnie

Bonnie,

Thank you for the clear description of what you are doing. I am just a user like yourself but I tried every way I could think of to duplicate what you are seeing and could not! :confused:

You said: "... if I take the time to actually look at the source definitions, the source type has changed from "Electronic Web Site" to "Dissertation" ... " I assume you mean you open the Master Source List, then open that new source for edit and at the top of the Source Definition window under Abbreviation find that its source type has changed? Have the available Source Elements also changed, or only the name of the source type? Electronic Web Site has the elements TITLE, SHORT TITLE, and URL, but Dissertation has TITLE, SHORT TITLE, RECORD TYPE, AUTHOR, DATE, and LOCATION.

Perhaps some internal pointer has a problem. Have you tried the project maintenance routines? It is usually recommended to run the actions Optimize then Verify File Integrity as a pair until VFI shows no errors, then do a final Optimize. Let us know if that helps. If not, maybe someone else will have an idea to try.

Bonnie,

Thank you for the clear description of what you are doing. I am just a user like yourself but I tried every way I could think of to duplicate what you are seeing and could not! :confused:

You said: "... if I take the time to actually look at the source definitions, the source type has changed from "Electronic Web Site" to "Dissertation" ... " I assume you mean you open the Master Source List, then open that new source for edit and at the top of the Source Definition window under Abbreviation find that its source type has changed? Have the available Source Elements also changed, or only the name of the source type? Electronic Web Site has the elements TITLE, SHORT TITLE, and URL, but Dissertation has TITLE, SHORT TITLE, RECORD TYPE, AUTHOR, DATE, and LOCATION.

Perhaps some internal pointer has a problem. Have you tried the project maintenance routines? It is usually recommended to run the actions Optimize then Verify File Integrity as a pair until VFI shows no errors, then do a final Optimize. Let us know if that helps. If not, maybe someone else will have an idea to try.

Thank you, Michael, for your time.

-- both the source description and the fields change.

-- it appears (I just noticed this since asking my initial question) that this is a TMG7 issue. Opened a source created under an earlier version -- most likely 5 or 6 -- and it had held the Electronic Web Site designation. But when I saved it, it immediately went to DISSERTATION.

-- I run the maintenance routines several times a week. No luck there, either. Reindex, Optimize, Validate, etc. until there are no errors. Don't always do a final optimize, though.

-- Is there a way for us non-techie folk to fix a pointer problem?

Again, thanks!

---Bonnie

It's not a 'pointer' problem. It's apparently some issue with your particular project.

Confirm that by trying the same exercise in the Sample project. Add a dummy source to the Sample project using the Electronic Web Site source type, save, reopen the source and check the source type.

It's not a 'pointer' problem. It's apparently some issue with your particular project.

Confirm that by trying the same exercise in the Sample project. Add a dummy source to the Sample project using the Electronic Web Site source type, save, reopen the source and check the source type.

The electronic web site source works in the sample site.

Now, how do I find the problem in my other projects? Once identified, how do I fix it? Apparently this is not something the routine maintenance functions are picking up.

Most of my projects have migrated through several versions of TMG, at least two projects beginning with ver. 4, growing along the way. They have also migrated across several computers. I think the earliest ones ran on Win98. Current versions are running on Vista. One project is regularly moved back and forth between at least 3 separate users. This is one of the projects that has the Electronic Web Site source issue. Two users work on Vista; one is still on XP. All are running the same current version of TMG.

All suggestions appreciated.

Now that is really strange. It happens in all of the projects that you have created and not in the Sample project?

You need to send me the smallest of your projects that shows the issue so that I can analyze the project.

Contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram