sam.m

"Select a Data Entry Mode" Beginners Buttons shown in Advanced mode

Setting up TMG on my new :) Notebook and came across the following minor issue.

Starting TMG for the first time the "Select a Data Entry Mode" window comes up asking if you want to use Beginners or Advanced mode. I select Advanced mode and notice that on the "Details Window" the "Add/Edit/Delete/Primary" Buttons are shown?

I would expect that these buttons would not be shown in Advanced mode, I checked the help file which states that in Beginners mode these buttons are on by default which seems to indicate they should not be on.

Sam,

"Add/Edit/Delete/Primary" Buttons on the "Details Window" is an independant feature of TMG.

For the convenience of "Beginners" they are visible by default on the "Details Window" while you are in "Beginner Mode" of Data Entry. This is regularly the case when you use TMG for the first time.

But that does not mean that they automatically disappear when you change the settings for Data Entry from "Beginner" to "Advanced". Even an "Advanded" user may find those buttons handy on the "Details Window".

Anybody who doesn't like them to be there can easily turn them off under File > Preferences.

When TMGv7.0 was announced Bob Velke wrote in the newsletter:

Beginner Buttons on the Person View make it easier to add, edit, delete, or change the primary status of tags (events, names, and relationships). Experienced users can deactivate these new buttons using a new Preference setting (Program Options > Data Entry).

In v7.04, those buttons will be saved in the layout. They will always be part of the Standard layout. So if you use the Standard layout and turn the buttons off, you should save the layout under a new name as a custom layout.