Leslie1899

Footnote Problem with Census Data

I learned yesterday that I can't use split CDs within embedded citations. I'd used them where I had conflicting data in census tags. No problem, I thought. Let's say I have two men enumerated who could be the one in question. I put the most likely candidate under the main census tag and set an arbitrary sort date. I next created a new Note tag which contained census data on the other likely candidate with its own separate (and different) citation detail. In one case there were three men, so I ended up with three separate tags (1 census and 2 Note tags) - each sorted sequentially.

However, when I had a chance to run test reports this morning, I discovered that, although the citation detail was different for each tag, because the basic source number was the same, the footnote in the second (or third) sentence was an Ibid.

I thought there was a way to specific that citation detail had to be exactly the same for Ibid. to be used. Is this capability limited to specific reports because I haven't found any? Did I imagine this capability? I know I could disable Ibid, but that would create many more lines of footnotes than I want in a report.

Jim, or anybody, what am I missing here?

Leslie

Leslie -

See the third bullet under "Technical Notes" in my Census Source article - you need to select "On-Requires Same Source and [CD]" under Ibid options on the Output Forms tab of the source definition. If you don't the default option - "On-Requires Same Source" - is applied, with the results you are seeing.

Terry, thanks so much. I'd forgotten I read about this on your site. My error was where I looked for the option. I've followed your advice and changed every one of the census sources as recommended. That should solve the problem beautifully.

Thanks again for all you tips (many of which have been printed off and filed in a binder for reference),

Leslie

You're welcome, Leslie.

BTW, I did add a warning about embedded sentences to both the general article on split CDs and the Census Source issue. Thanks for the heads up.