rlgleason51

Dataset via focus group

I am trying (still) to create a gedcom file for posting to a DNA site. I created a focus group of the indivduals I want included: IDing the individual then adding spouses and, in this case, descendents.

I then ran the list of people report with the dataset as secondary output. However, when I view the dataset population, the relationships are not defined, i.e., my ancester and his wife are in the dataset, but not as spouses. when viewed in tree mode, only one or two people are displayed, instead of the ancestry line I'd expect.

Is this normal, or did I do (or failed to do) check some box to cause this.

Thanks

Bob,

Let me see if I've got this right. You created a Focus group that included some people of interest. You added their spouses and their descendants. Then you used the Secondary Output of the List of People report to create a new Data Set. Then you viewed the people in the new Data Set, and found problems with what you saw. Right so far?

Now, you say an ancestor and his wife are in the new data set, but not as spouses. What do you mean by "not as spouses"? Do they have a marriage tag? Do they have a marriage tag in the original data set? Do they have children together in the new data set?

Bob,

Let me see if I've got this right. You created a Focus group that included some people of interest. You added their spouses and their descendants. Then you used the Secondary Output of the List of People report to create a new Data Set. Then you viewed the people in the new Data Set, and found problems with what you saw. Right so far?

Correct.

Now, you say an ancestor and his wife are in the new data set, but not as spouses. What do you mean by "not as spouses"? Do they have a marriage tag? Do they have a marriage tag in the original data set? Do they have children together in the new data set?

I misspoke in my orignall post - I apologize. Here is what I see. (Again TMG 7.04, Win xp sp2 32 bit)

In the person view, I see all the relationships and tags for my great grandfather, which is as far back as I can go in this line. I see all of marraige, birth and death tags for the great grandparents and their children.

In the family view, I only see my greatgranfather and his wife with a note saying that ther are 8 children. No other names are dipslayed. Page is 1 of 1.

In the tree view, again there are only the two individuals, no descendants. The next tab is greyed out. Page is 1 of 1.

Hope this clarifies.

In the family view, I only see my greatgranfather and his wife with a note saying that ther are 8 children. No other names are dipslayed. Page is 1 of 1.

Children have not appeared in the Family view since version 4. Since version 5 the children are in their own window.

In the tree view, again there are only the two individuals, no descendants. The next tab is greyed out. Page is 1 of 1.

I don't understand. The tree view has always been just ancestors of the focus person - descendants are not part of that view.

If you want to see children you have to make the Children window part of your layout.

Children have not appeared in the Family view since version 4. Since version 5 the children are in their own window.

I don't understand. The tree view has always been just ancestors of the focus person - descendants are not part of that view.

If you want to see children you have to make the Children window part of your layout.

Now I understand. I've never use either view before - just trying to verify my data.

Problem solved - user error.

Thanks