I am using TMG for data entry and for some Journal HTML-reporting but also SecondSite.

With SS I want to publish some additional info (and web links) about places. Place comment field seems to work perfectly for this and also web links work fine.

However, I could not find excact help info how TMG uses this field. But after testing, it seemed to me, that TMG use this field only as comment field to be reached thru Master Place list.

Does using place comment field generate any issues with TMG, especally show up in Journals one way or other?

Also I would like to see this field one of "repeat-fields" and more important as a text field so formating would be easier.

Peter

Peter,

As far as I know there are no issues in TMG with using the Place comment field for comments about places. The Place comment field is a "memo" field in TMG and so you can use printer codes like [bOLD:] / [:BOLD]. You said you were putting links in the Place comment; for maximum compatibility with TMG you should probably use the [WEB:]url;text[:WEB] code for links. SS will convert those to HTML links for you, and I think TMG will, too, if you send TMG report output to an HTML file.

I don't know what you mean by "as a text field so format[t]ing would be easier."

Peter,

As far as I know there are no issues in TMG with using the Place comment field for comments about places. The Place comment field is a "memo" field in TMG and so you can use printer codes like [bOLD:] / [:BOLD]. You said you were putting links in the Place comment; for maximum compatibility with TMG you should probably use the [WEB:]url;text[:WEB] code for links. SS will convert those to HTML links for you, and I think TMG will, too, if you send TMG report output to an HTML file.

I don't know what you mean by "as a text field so format[t]ing would be easier."

Thank you John,

you just confirmed what I assumed. And yes, I use this url;text-format.

I meant: If in some fields, like memo, one right clicks, formating menu will be available. In citation detail field it does not happen.

Peter

I meant: If in some fields, like memo, one right clicks, formating menu will be available. In citation detail field it does not happen.

Peter,

OK, I understand now. I don't think the missing context-menu commands should be interpreted to mean that the Place comment field doesn't support printer codes. The problem is, it is hard to test. TMG doesn't include the Place comment in any reports, as far as I know, except for a "List of Places" report, and the "List of..." reports don't format printer codes.

If I were you I'd go ahead and use the Place comments field and I'd use printer codes, too. If for some reason you ever have to remove the printer code--I don't think that will happen--it would be pretty easy to remove them with TMG Utility.

Peter,

OK, I understand now. I don't think the missing context-menu commands should be interpreted to mean that the Place comment field doesn't support printer codes. The problem is, it is hard to test. TMG doesn't include the Place comment in any reports, as far as I know, except for a "List of Places" report, and the "List of..." reports don't format printer codes.

If I were you I'd go ahead and use the Place comments field and I'd use printer codes, too. If for some reason you ever have to remove the printer code--I don't think that will happen--it would be pretty easy to remove them with TMG Utility.

John,

thank u again.

Will start using.

Peter