Brent Morgan

Focus Group to New Project

I have created a focus group of 45 people in my main project. (A) I want to put these people into project (B) which is the project from which I make my SS3.

Can I move them in directly in some manner?

or

Can I move them to a brand new project (C) that I can then merge with (B)?

Thanks.

Brent Morgan

Richmond VA

The export option gives you the option to export everyone in a focus group. Is this what you meant?

I have created a focus group of 45 people in my main project. (A) I want to put these people into project (B) which is the project from which I make my SS3.

Can I move them in directly in some manner?

or

Can I move them to a brand new project (C) that I can then merge with (B) ?

Thanks.

Brent Morgan

Richmond VA

The export option gives you the option to export everyone in a focus group. Is this what you meant?

Yes, that is what I mean. I am looking at the export option and not sure that I understand it.

Thanks much.

Brent

I am looking at the export option and not sure that I understand it.

That's probably because File / Export has absolutely nothing to do with what you want to do.

Basically, you use the secondary Output option of the List of People report to copy the people in the Focus Group to the new Project C.

Then merge project C with project B.

Then merge the new data set in project B with the original data set in Project B.

Then delete the new data set from Project B.

Then clean up the people that you have merged into the original Project B data set.

Follow Virginia's advice and then ask more questions here, if necessary, to smooth out the rough spots.

I hate tokeep regenerating all the emails on additional posts.

Thanks to Virginia, Jim Byram, and Vicus for all your help. I followed Terry's Focus Group Method. Then successfully made and transferred my gedcom right into Project B. I remade my site.

All is well except I get error 380 - invalid property value when I try to republish. I know that there were some postings about 380 in the past few days and I will review those next.

Thanks everyone. Happy Memorial Day.

Brent Morgan

Just one comment. It is always a mistake to use GEDCOM to transfer data from one TMG project to another. You will lose formatting and other data in the process. You should use something like the process that I described above.

Brent,

Why do you want to use a separate project for Second Site? If the purpose is to limit who is included, keep just your main project and use a Flag to limit who is included. See my article on Controlling Who is Included for details.

You can use the Focus Group you have already created to set your flag. Using your main project is generally much easier since you will doubtless find data errors as you proof you site, and having to correct them in two separate projects is a pain.