Darryl Rowles

TMG 4.0d optimize function crashes database

Hello,

I have recently discovered that optimize function crashes my database of about 91000 people. I have to restore a back to recover - repair or reindex fails after attempting optimize. I remember that there was a problem reported long ago. I have tried using different computers and OS and ge the same results. Upgrading is not an option as some of my favorite features are missing in version 5, 6 and 7.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Darryl

Hello,

I have recently discovered that optimize function crashes my database of about 91000 people. I have to restore a back to recover - repair or reindex fails after attempting optimize. I remember that there was a problem reported long ago. I have tried using different computers and OS and ge the same results. Upgrading is not an option as some of my favorite features are missing in version 5, 6 and 7.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Darryl

Darryl,

Contact Whollygenes support for help on your issue with version 4.0d.

What features are missing?

Hello,

Any ideas?

Thanks, Darryl

Yes, I sorely miss the b.m.d. dates on the Tree display and the usefulness of the Family display in TMG4. However, I am a big fan of customizing VCF charts to my unreasonable requirements. TMG5 did fix many of the quirky crashes with v4 VCF. Otherwise, I did not like TMG5 when it came out for the above and several other reasons.

It took a while before I bit the bullet and "upgraded" to TMG5. There were almost 60000 people in the database at that time. TMG v5 would corrupt my database if anyone looked at it funny. I had to resort to backups about a dozen times in just a few months of using TMG5, costing many hours work.

Just when I considered another Genealogy Program, TMG6 appeared. All of the serious v5 dataset corruption problems went away. Plus no one else that had decent database features and editing, had VCF like customizable charts. I'm happy to have stayed with TMG. I customized the Person display to be almost like TMG4, long ago, and am pleased with TMG7 (still miss the Tree b.m.d. dates and a useful Family display, though).

I have never had to resort to restoring a dataset backup in TMG 6 or 7, now with 82000+ people. It is recommended that you try TMG7. Give it another shot, it won't cost anything for 30 days. Many problems will disappear.

Best wishes,

Upgrading is not an option as some of my favorite features are missing in version 5, 6 and 7.
Darryl,

Hmmm... Maybe the feature you want is available, but you would need to set an option or a bit of customization to get it? I have used TMG since Version 3, and would never go back to earlier versions now that Version 7 is so complete and customizable.

Why not start a new topic with something like "I really like feature xxx in Version 4 but cannot find anything comparable in Version 7." I predict that one of us users is bound to propose a way to get very close. I also believe that some of the many extensive new features in Version 7 that are not in Version 4 will become your new favorite features. :rolleyes:

As Mike said, there are problems with Version 4 that later versions fixed. It really might be time to re-consider upgrading.