ok, so I have two files/db's, one for me (3 years in the making), one for my wife (2 years in the making). I found a common (way, way back) ancestor. I export that ancestor from my tree, including his ancestors, as a GED, and import it into her tree. All the names that were imported are now broken up. i.e., titles are on there own name-Var line and the restof that entry is on a seperate name-Var line. I do not want to have to hand edit all of the entries back the way it was (100 plus entries at this initial step). what is causing this........ .. .. .... . . .?

Have you gotten any resolution on this? I don't export GEDCOM a lot because it is such an old format and you lose so much of what you can record in TMG. Maybe some other one of us users will have a better idea. I suspect your symptoms are based on your export options, but that is a guess.

However, assuming that you have two TMG files/dbs, I believe GEDCOM is a very bad way to go. Instead I would open the first project, and create and save a Focus Group of all the people that are to be exported. Then I would use a List of People report, specify the Subjects of the report to be the Focus Group you saved, and on the Secondary Output tab of the Report Options I would select to create a new TMG project of just these people. Now I would open the other project in TMG, and simply merge in that newly created project. This will make a separate dataset of these people within your second project, and now you simply merge the two datasets.

For more details, see Terry's Tips here about merging projects and datasets.

This method will retain all your TMG tags and information about these people.

Hope this gives you ideas,

this problem did not get resolved, and I had to manulally correct all 100+ poor imports. I will looka t the lnk on terry's site, and maybe tet that method with a copies.

thanks

The problem is never going to be resolved. TMG GEDCOM export is not designed for 'round-tripping'. In other words, when you export from TMG to a GEDCOM, you will not necessarily get the same results when you import that GEDCOM into TMG. You should never use GEDCOM to transfer data between two TMG projects.

Follow the advice that Michael has given above to copy data from one TMG project to another. Ask if some of the fine points of how to do this are not clear. Terry's article (and his other articles) are very easy reading and should be helpful.