jnickel

Left margin clipping on pdf files

Setup conditions.

Wholly Genes PDF Writer V3 Installed and is the only PDF printer driver installed.

Printer is setup for landscape, 0.5 inches left/right margins and 0.5 inches top/bottom margins.

Acrobate Reader ver. 9.1.3

Problem: Clipping of text on left margin only when using Acrobat Reader to print.

When I generate an indented descendant report under preview and then print it out. It prints out fine. It's in landscape and printing begins exactly 0.5 inches from the left margin.

If I save the file as a PDF document and open it up, it looks fine. If I go to print and look at the preview window in the print window. I see the full page. When I print the document, the left edge of the report is clipped off. ... Example: Suppose the title of the report is Descendants of John Chappell. .... nearly all of the capital "D" has been clipped off; the first letter of the first person [in this case the J in John Chappell] and the connecting descendant line to the next generation is clipped off.

Printing still begins 0.5 inches from the edge of the paper, but [apparently] Acrobat wants to print ~one character to the left of 0.5 inches.

I've been using TMG for years and never had this problem that I'm aware of before. But to tell you the truth I've rarely ever printed out a pdf document. I usually either print from the screen preview when I generate the report and usually just send pdf files to other people.

If I do change the left/right margin to 1.0 inches there isn't a clipping problem, but I don't especially want to lose the extra inch 1/2 inch left and right. I'm not sure what's happening, but it seems like when TMG generates the pdf file it's not sending what Acrobat understands to be a 0.5 inch margin. Acrobat seems to be thinking the margin is 1/2 inch minus 1/16 ... 7/16 inch. I'm assuming the printer doesn't reach the 1/16 inch no man's land.

Jim

Do you happen to have 'duplex printing' (printing on both sides of the paper) turned on in your printer setup? On my Canon it allows for a 'staple' area which narows the print area. Just a thought.

Do you happen to have 'duplex printing' (printing on both sides of the paper) turned on in your printer setup? On my Canon it allows for a 'staple' area which narows the print area. Just a thought.

Two sided printing is off.