Judy M.

Period at the end of source embedded within parentheses

My narrative reports include sources embedded within parentheses. Here's an example of the output -- note the double periods:

(XYZ.).

I would like to see options for dealing with this problem, my preference being to eliminate the period within the parentheses (except for when it's required--e.g., "Ibid." -- which can be "hard wired" anyhow). I realize that there may be times where one might prefer having the period only outside the parens, but more often than not, I want it inside.

As far as I have been able to determine, there is no way to accomplish this currently. If there is--please advise!

Hi Judy,

I would need more detail to make suggestions. You say you have "sources embedded within parentheses" but it is not clear to me what you mean. I assume you are discussing output from a source citation? Could you provide an exact example (copy/paste) of the source template (whether Full Footnote, Short Footnote, or Bibliography) that is producing the output you see. And is the data before the period in a source element field, or maybe the Citation Detail? Exact example of the data would also help.

Hi Judy,

I would need more detail to make suggestions. You say you have "sources embedded within parentheses" but it is not clear to me what you mean. I assume you are discussing output from a source citation? Could you provide an exact example (copy/paste) of the source template (whether Full Footnote, Short Footnote, or Bibliography) that is producing the output you see. And is the data before the period in a source element field, or maybe the Citation Detail? Exact example of the data would also help.

Sorry. Okay, as I mentioned I'm talking about narrative reports. Under Options|Sources, I have chosen Sources:Embedded with parentheses. Here's an example of the output in which I would like to eliminate the period within the parentheses:

Judith Barbara Koblintz (1) (Judy Koblintz Madnick personal knowledge.).

The source title and Informant are "Judy Koblintz Madnick" where "[iNFORMANT] personal knowledge" is the output form for full footnote and short footnote.

The period is within the parentheses in every footnote, regardless of whether there's additional text such as above ("personal knowledge") or [TITLE]<, [CD]>, which is my usual format. There are no periods within any of the source information.

I hope I'm explaining this adequately, as I may not be using the correct terminology.

Edited by Judy M.

Thanks, Judy,

It seems that you are not alone in finding this an issue. I searched some other lists and other users have mentioned this before, and expressed a "wish" for either some change or some user option to control it. As a fellow user, all I can offer is my observation that at present there appears to be no option within TMG to control this. I guess you will have to post-process this in your Word Processor. Doing a global search and replace for '.).' should be pretty straight-forward.

Sorry,

Oh, well. Terry Reigel had pretty much told me the same thing awhile ago. My hope is that further discussion may result in results. After the global search you have suggested, I would have to replace "(Ibid)" with "(Ibid.)" and hope that there aren't any other abbreviations within parentheses. <sigh> I do appreciate your response.

You are welcome. It never hurts to ask or express "wishes" for changes. History has shown with TMG that "wishes" from us users are often implemented. :)