beetle3247

More Than One Person Using TMG

Both my wife and I use TMG V7 for our respective family data. The problem is that we do not agree on the formats for many of the customizable options (i.e. sentence structure, sources, etc.). Is there any way that two, or more, individuals can use the same program and have it set up differently for their own use?

Yes - create separate Projects, or separate Data Sets within a single project.

Doing so, however, will mean you cannot connect the people in the two Projects or Data Sets; that is, they cannot share tags, or be connected as parents and children or be married. And you cannot create ancestor or descendant charts or reports containing people from both of them.

It would also be possible to create separate Tag Type and Source Types for the two users. But you would then have to be careful to select your own type in each use, which I'd think would be a hassle.

Both my wife and I use TMG V7 for our respective family data. The problem is that we do not agree on the formats for many of the customizable options (i.e. sentence structure, sources, etc.). Is there any way that two, or more, individuals can use the same program and have it set up differently for their own use?

Please take note of the downside that Terry pointed out of maintaining two projects. Consider the usefulness of your data to your children and posterity.

TMG is so flexible that you and your wife can share a single dataset and still maintain your own desires of how to define people or phrase reports. For example, you can define different tags for the same type of event (in the same tag group) with different emphasis and different report sentences. She uses her tag, you use yours. Only joint reports and charts (not possible with separate projects) are areas of compromise. Otherwise, her family is her way, yours is your way.

Another solution of each of you maintaining a project with all of the same people in both families is error prone, frustrating and a potential source of many future arguements.

If you have trouble on handling some specific item of difference in sharing a single dataset, post it here. Someone is sure to have a potential solution for your consideration.

Best wishes,