Val.Meadowcroft

TMG v6.12 v Windows Vista

Hi, I have been using TMG v6.12 for 3 years and now have the details of about 300 people on it. I recently had to replace my computer and my new one has Vista on it. I had backed up everything on a separate hard-drive so I thought it would all be fine when I transferred my work, but I can't open up TMG at all. A dialogue box is asking for Microsoft Visual Foxpro software library. I've googled this and it seems to be an enormous download which will take up an awful lot of memory. (and what if it still doesn't work!) A friend has suggested that I download an upgrade which I have tried to do but it is asking for the serial number of my present version. As I can't open it up I can't get to this and unfortunately I don't now have any paperwork from when I bought the original download. (I didn't get a cd version and any email or printout from the time appears to be gone!). Do you have any advice as to what I should do? I'm feeling rather downhearted at the prospect of losing 3 years work.

Val

Val -

To upgrade an existing project to TMG v7 you must back it up from v6 (or earlier) and _Restore_ the .sqz file to v7. You cannot simply use File / Open to access a project which was created in an earlier version; use File / Restore. See the pinned messages at the top of the v7 forum. Until you locate your v6 serial number, you can use the 30-day trial version of v7. Download here.

Virginia

Val,

First, there is no reason for you to loose your previous work, so don't worry about that.

It doesn't appear from your note that you re-installed TMG on your new computer, but rather that you just copied the program files from your old computer. TMG, like most modern programs, cannot simply be copied, but must be "installed" with the installer.

It is possible to obtain the TMG 6.12 installer from Wholly Genes. But that version was not designed for Windows Vista, and can only be installed on it with some special steps, which were posted here several years ago, and can not doubt be found if need be. But I would suggest a better solution would be to upgrade to version 7, which was designed to run on Vista (it also has some nice new features).

To get the upgrade price you will need your serial number from the old version. Since you don't have that, I would suggest you contact Wholly Genes support, who should be able to supply that for you. Of course that means you need to wait until Monday when they open for business. But, as Virginia says, you can use the trial version for 30 days while you sort that out - it is a fully functional version, which you simply "unlock" with your serial number when you get it.

Once you install the new program you will need to transfer your data files to keep your prior work. As Virginia says, that is done by Restoring a Backup from version 6. If you do not have a current backup Support should be able to help you with that too.

Hi, I have been using TMG v6.12 for 3 years and now have the details of about 300 people on it. I recently had to replace my computer and my new one has Vista on it. I had backed up everything on a separate hard-drive so I thought it would all be fine when I transferred my work, but I can't open up TMG at all. A dialogue box is asking for Microsoft Visual Foxpro software library. I've googled this and it seems to be an enormous download which will take up an awful lot of memory. (and what if it still doesn't work!) A friend has suggested that I download an upgrade which I have tried to do but it is asking for the serial number of my present version. As I can't open it up I can't get to this and unfortunately I don't now have any paperwork from when I bought the original download. (I didn't get a cd version and any email or printout from the time appears to be gone!). Do you have any advice as to what I should do? I'm feeling rather downhearted at the prospect of losing 3 years work.

Val

Hi Val,

Here are the links

* TMG v6.12 USA installer

* TMG v6.12 UK installer

You can use you existing TMG 6.12 License/Serial number (If you don't have it just contact Whollygenes support via email support@whollygenes.com or call the Wholly Genes office and they will resend you your unlock info.)

Here are the notes about TMG 6.12 and Vista

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg6andwinvista.pdf

I am trying to re-install version 6.12 on a Windows XP home system, and I am also hitting the error accessing WINDOWS/Fonts/Foxfont.fon file when I try to run tmg6setup application.

I have multiple users on my PC. When I tried to install TMG7 on a username without admin rights, I get the foxfont error message. When I switched to the admin usename to install, it went through without an issue.