Peter Tarkkonen

Placemap.ini file

I want to use one Internet map service available.

Lat/long coding which is used, is not the same what is used with Google maps. So I need to add soem other coordinates to place information.

I need to pass "E=6824946&N=4500938" to browser.

If I use one of the place fields like [Postal] as a variable, equalizers and "&" characters are extracted (as mentioned in instructions)

An other option is to split data to two fields

[postal] = 6824946

[phone] = 4500938

and then put them back together in "URL="-sentence

Instructions says: "The “Place Information” and “Place Mapping” features are available in TMG from screens which reflect place fields. Those place fields (and some others) can be referenced by name in the Condition= and URL= lines of the configuration file"

However, I tested [phone] as variable, but I does not seem to work, but [postal] works fine.

Is this correct? Ie. Can only [postal] be used, but not [phone]? Or is these some other ideas to be tried?

Peter

Peter,

What format are the parameters? It looks like it might be degrees-minutes-seconds concatenated together without delimiters.

What web site are you using? Are you sure they don't have a URL format where you can pass decimal degrees?

Peter,

What format are the parameters? It looks like it might be degrees-minutes-seconds concatenated together without delimiters.

What web site are you using? Are you sure they don't have a URL format where you can pass decimal degrees?

John,

this site does not have too much documentation.

They have URL generator and it gives format like this:

http://www.karjalankartat.fi/?language=en&...mp;text=Rantala

If this will work with TMG, I will try to make it work with SecondSite too. I tried to enter this URL to place comment-field and then open it thru SecondSite. It opens map frame but not real map. Did not investigate futher.

Peter

PS. It is quite new govermental site with old maps from 1939. Area which was taken from Finland by Russians after war. All these maps were banned until 1990´s.

That site uses an open source mapping facility called "OpenLayers". I think that software uses a different map projection and the coordinates are based on meters, not lat/long. The implementation of OpenLayers on http://www.karjalankartat.fi may allow for lat/long coordinates, but I couldn't tell from what I looked at. You should ask them about it if you have some way to contact them.

Without lat/long, you'll have hard time using the karjalankartat.fi site with Second Site. It might work, but you'll have to experiment.

That site uses an open source mapping facility called "OpenLayers". I think that software uses a different map projection and the coordinates are based on meters, not lat/long. The implementation of OpenLayers on http://www.karjalankartat.fi may allow for lat/long coordinates, but I couldn't tell from what I looked at. You should ask them about it if you have some way to contact them.

Without lat/long, you'll have hard time using the karjalankartat.fi site with Second Site. It might work, but you'll have to experiment.

John,

I will test on SS too. Have some questions so will use SS Community for those.

I wish TMG people would answer aswell. My final destination is to make SS to work, but I need to test entered data in TMG, so it would be great to make it work there too

Peter