dvs

Printing Memo tags

I have entered obituaries in the memo field of either the death or burial tags. In addition I created a flag that indicated whether or not I have an obit for that person. Now I want to create a report for all the descendants of an individual and their spouses that would show only the people that I have obits for. The report would have their name, date of birth, death date and the memo field from either the death or burial tag. Any ideas on how I can accomplish this?

Let me see if I have what you are trying to get. You want a report for each person for whom you have an obit, and that report should include everyone who is a descendant of that person or a spouse of a descendant. And it is to show only name, birth and death date, and memo from death and burial tags. Is that right?

I assume you want the report to display the relationships to the focus person, and not just be a list of names. Is that right?

Clearly there is no standard report that comes very close. The need to display relationships, if that is truly required, while showing the specific information, limits the choices. My thought is to create a descendants narrative using a custom language to output just the desired information. The catch here is that the Indented Descendants Narrative provides the simplest format, but doesn't include spouses. If you could forgo spouses that would be a good choice.

Otherwise you are limited to the Journals, which will create repetitive output of the children's data.

In either case, you could use a custom language, and write some simple custom sentences for that language. For example:

Birth Tag: Birth: [D];

Death Tag: [+]Death: [D]

Burial Tag: [+]

You don't need the name as it will automatically print. You may want to change the format, and perhaps put carriage returns to cause each to be on a separate line. I'm not quite sure what the Burial Tag will do if there is no Memo. You would have to fiddle with them to get the formatting as you want it.

You could use a filtered group using your flag to get all the starting people. There would be a problem if some of the people with obits are also descendants of others with obits - doing the report all at once would cause those duplicates to be shown only once.

I doubt you can get exactly what you have in mind, but perhaps close. :)