rlgleason51

custom layout file

The layout files (.lo) and any custom toolbars (.tbr) used in layouts. Copy the files from the user program data folder to the equivalent folder on the target system.

If you read the Data File Storage help topic, the information there would have answered your question for the most part.

The layout files (.lo) and any custom toolbars (.tbr) used in layouts. Copy the files from the user program data folder to the equivalent folder on the target system.

If you read the Data File Storage help topic, the information there would have answered your question for the most part.

Thanks Jim. Read the help topic and found the files on my old pc (XP). Copied the files to (Win7):

\Users\username\my documents\TMG7\. The lay out did not appear in the drop down list of the layout 'box' from the toolbar.

Then I tried copying them to the configuratoin_files foldr under TMG 7using the above path. Still nothing.

What am I missing?

You are copying them to the wrong folder.

From Help / Data File Storage

2. User Program Data Files include:

· Preferences / Program Options settings

· color schemes

· layouts

· toolbars

· DNA template files

· place information button settings

· place mapping button settings

· web links (other)

· web links (places)

The TMG v7 Program Default Path of the User Program Data Files is as follows:

Windows Vista (also Windows7):

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

Virginia

You are copying them to the wrong folder.

From Help / Data File Storage

2. User Program Data Files include:

· Preferences / Program Options settings

· color schemes

· layouts

· toolbars

· DNA template files

· place information button settings

· place mapping button settings

· web links (other)

· web links (places)

The TMG v7 Program Default Path of the User Program Data Files is as follows:

Windows Vista (also Windows7):

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

Virginia

Virginia

I do not have \appdata\roaming\ as part of my path.

Edited by rlgleason51

Please look in the folder Virginia specified. The folder may be hidden and the help topic discusses that.

"By default, Windows hides the Shared Program Data Folder and the User Program Data Folder, so you must select 'Show hidden files and folders' on the Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / View tab in order to browse the folders using Windows Explorer. Windows Help should walk you through enabling this option if you click on the Windows Desktop, press the key to open Windows help and search for 'show hidden files'."

That is the default location of the TMG7 User Program Data Files folder. If you cannot find the folder, perhaps it is hidden; do you have Windows Explorer set to show hidden files and folders?

Note that User Data Files are different from User Program Data Files; the former are stored in C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7 and the location of those files can be changed in Preferences / Advanced. To change the location of User Program Data Files you have to use the file Data_paths.txt, as explained in Help.

Virginia

That is the default location of the TMG7 User Program Data Files folder. If you cannot find the folder, perhaps it is hidden; do you have Windows Explorer set to show hidden files and folders?

Note that User Data Files are different from User Program Data Files; the former are stored in C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7 and the location of those files can be changed in Preferences / Advanced. To change the location of User Program Data Files you have to use the file Data_paths.txt, as explained in Help.

Virginia

Thanks Jim and Virginia. My folders were hidden. I thought I had unhidden them but obviously had not. All is working as it should be now.