half pint

Family Group Sheet

Hi

I have decided to print off a FGS for everyone in my project.

Before I do this I decided to go through and clean up all my sources etc and I have found something I cannot find an explanation for.

Isaac Bone

birth

birth reg

census 1861 - member of household

occupation

marriage

marriage reg

census 1871 - 1st principle / his wife is the 2nd principle

occupation

census 1881 - 1st principle / his wife is the 2nd principle

occupation

census 1891 - 1st principle / his wife is the 2nd principle

occupation

census 1901 - 1st principle / his wife is the 2nd principle

occupation

death

death reg

on all of the censuses it has printed the citation detail but not the citation memo except for the 1891 which does have the memo.

All of them have witnesses [which do not print on any of the tags], the same surety etc etc and I can find no differences at all between them that would cause this to print.

To be honest I would like it to print on all of them but can find no where in the report options that will allow me to do this.

Can sks with more knowledge than me [which would obviously not be difficult] know why this is happening.

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Half Pint

Edited by half pint

Hi

I think I have found out why.

On the 1891 his surname was spelt Born instead of Bone. On this and all the other entries I always add all those present as witnesses and then after the 91 I went in to each individual and added a name variation tag.

Could this be the cause

Regards

Half

I have decided to print off a FGS for everyone in my project.

on all of the censuses it has printed the citation detail but not the citation memo except for the 1891 which does have the memo.

All of them have witnesses [which do not print on any of the tags], the same surety etc etc and I can find no differences at all between them that would cause this to print.

The issue is with the way the footnotes/endnotes print, right? That has nothing to do with witnesses or sureties, but only with the construction of the Templates in the Source Definition, and the options chosen on the Sources tab of the Report Definition. I suspect the problem is that the [CM] variable is not present in whichever template (full or short footnote) that is being used for the note in question.

To be honest I would like it to print on all of them but can find no where in the report options that will allow me to do this.

There is no provision for printing anything about Witnesses in the FGS sections for Principals. Witnesses can only be included in report sections for Principals by including references in to the Witnesses in the Principals' Sentences. But FGSs don't use Sentences - only narrative reports do. So, in FGSs, the Witnesses can only appear in their own sections.

Hi Terry

You have always been here for me over the years and on several occasions when I have said that I have never run a report you have suggested that I do.

So I have taken the plunge and to be quite honest I feel like how an 8 year old would feel when picking up a manual on "how to build a tv complete with working parts", totally out of my depth and about an inch tall. So I am going to go away into a very quiet corner and study your website and the TMG video tutorials and try again.

Thank you for trying to help.

Regards

Half Pint

Don't dispair! :rolleyes: Start small and work up. And feel free to ask questions! Us fellow users on this Forum are happy to try to help. :D

I suggest that you start small and experiment. For example, with the FGS select only One person and Use the Current Focus Person. Make the Current Focus a person with lots of tags, ancestors, and descendents so you can see what happens. Then open the Options and change various values and re-run the report to see the differences. And also experiment with the differences you get when you only do a Print Preview versus saving it to a Word Processor file and looking at it in that Word Processor. Then experiment using a different type of report such as the Individual Narrative or the Journal Report. In my experience actually seeing what happens to the report is my best way to learn what the Options do. Don't be afraid to experiment with generating reports! As long as you don't use the special Options on the Secondary Output tab, running a report will not modify your data. If all you do is look at them on the screen you have not wasted paper and only need to either write over that file the next time you run the report or just delete the file. And check out the included TMG Help, it really can be very useful.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Lin, check out Terry's tutorial on sources here:

See the paragraph : Where to Modify Output Templates.

I think Terry is saying that the template for either your Full footnote or Short footnote may not include the [CM] variable, and that you should add the [CM] there, either just for that individual source (section 1 in Terry's paragraph)) or for all past and future sources of that type (section 2).

The Family Group Sheet outputs raw data as opposed to narrative data (sentences). The witness information will show up only in each individual's section of the Family Group Sheet, not with the principal to whose events they are a witness.

Virginia

Hi Michael and Virginia

Thank you so much for replying to my plea.

I don't feel so daunted now and as you suggest take it one step at a time, reading all the tutorials and asking questions.

Thank you for being here for me.

Regards

Half Pint