Dennis S

Cleaning Up ID # with Merge

I have managed several data sets for each of the primary families I am developing. I want to have a single data set of all of these families and have merged them together. I noted when this was done I ended up with changes in the ID #. I am hoping to revert back to a single number for the ID rather then the format now showing, i.e. 1:1 or 6:45. How would I go about accomplishing this? Thanks.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

This numbering is a normal result of merging. I suggest you review Terry's on-line Tips about understanding the difference between projects and datasets here and his suggestions concerning merging here.

You used the term "data sets" but it is unclear if you really meant that term. The terms "dataset" and "project" have very specific and different meanings within TMG so it is important to use the term you really mean. Did you have a single project with multiple datasets within it and then merged datasets? I am guessing you did not. If so, you would have seen this numbering before.

I suspect that what you had were separate projects each containing a single dataset. I suspect that you then merged these multiple projects into a single project which now has multiple datasets, one from each of these merged projects. The number before the colon shows which of the multiple datasets within that single project the person is in, i.e. 6:45 means person ID number 45 in dataset six. It is telling you that you are not really finished with your merging activities. What you now need to do is merge these datasets into a single dataset within that project, and then delete the separate datasets from your single project. Once you have done that you can clean up the duplicates caused by merging.

Again, Terry's Tips above will help explain all this better.

Michael,

Thanks. Will look at Terry's info. And yes, you are correct. I merged several projects to create a single new project containing all them.

Dennis