Would it be possible to add another value to the Living Flag. (I have a need with my particular use of TMG)

I would also like to change my existing living database to this new flag without making several hundred entries.

Bert

Would it be possible to add another value to the Living Flag.
Sorry, Bert. No, you cannot add values to the built-in flags.
I would also like to change my existing living database to this new flag without making several hundred entries.
You could create a custom flag of your own that had whatever values you wished. When you create it everyone in your dataset will be set to the default value you define for this new flag. However, with just a couple of passes you could set the value of this flag to be the same as the current setting for the LIVING flag. Create a filter for using with a List of People that is based on the value of the LIVING flag. Then run a List of People report for each LIVING value in the filter, and use the Secondary Output tab on the Report Options to set your custom flag to an appropriate value.

Unfortunately, there are two problems with this custom tag. First, TMG will not automatically change that flag's value to 'N' whenever you add a tag in the Death group to a person. Your tag will be totally under your manual control and you will have to remember to change it. Second, you cannot use the built-in TMG features that only look at the LIVING flag, such as the double bars '||' in a tag Sentence template. However, for most purposes you could use your flag instead of the LIVING flag.

Perhaps a better alternative might be using a combination of the LIVING flag and a custom flag? Most TMG filters can be compound conditions. For example, a filter could be for the condition where LIVING was 'Y' AND your custom flag value was '3'. Again you could set your custom flag to various values by using an appropriate filter on a List of People report (or a List of Events report) and set your flag to a value using the Secondary Output. That is a lot easier than visiting several hundred people and individually changing flag values.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Michael

Thank you for your possible solution. Currently the database is 75% usable with the default TMG configuration. What I was able to come-up-with that is working: For the existing database that I'm having issues with I was able to simply list them as living (y) and this removed them from those who have passed exhibits..(I neglected to mention that exhibits were where I was having a problem and there was involvement with Second Site III software.) Then I configured a user item for SS and the exhibit issue was solved. For new entries that reproduce the problem I just remember to list the entry as living (Y).

Bert