rbarrows

How can I make a list of all the living blood relatives of a person

Hi,

I am not sure if there is an easy way. You may run a report of relatives, but this includes also non-blood relatives (i. spouses, relatives of spouses ...).

I myself, when adding an individual, set a flag that tells me if it is

- direct ancestor

- blood-related

- "just" related

- not related

This helps me using accents for different kinds of relationships or create several reports.

Richard,

Since you say you want a list of people, I would think the List of People report would be what you want to use. You would need to control who is included, and a Filter would seem to be the best way. Your query raises two separate issues - that the people on the list be living, and that they be blood relatives.

Addressing the first condition depends on how careful you have been in setting the Living Flag, and how particular you are about the accuracy of that assignment in the makeup of the list. TMG assigns the Living status of "?" by default, unless a Death Group Tag has been entered, or a Birth Group Tag has been entered with a date that precedes the current date by the assumed lifespan set in Preferences. If you can live with that as a measure of "living," or have manually set the Living Flag to your satisfaction, you can use the Living Flag as one of the perimeters for the filter.

Defining "blood relatives" is more difficult. There is no filter term that does that directly - you can filter for ancestors and descendants, but not for aunts, uncles, and cousins. You have to identify them with other processes. I think the easiest way would be to create a custom Flag, say "RELATIVES" with values of N,Y, then set that flag for all blood relatives by use of the Secondary Output of the List of People report. The easiest way to do that is probably by use of the Focus Group:

1. Place your starting person in an empty Focus Group, and click on that person to select him or her.

2. In the Add Other box, check Ancestors and Descendants, setting the Generations count to more than the number of generations in your Data Set. Do not check Spouse. Click the Add Others button.

3. Click the Select All buttton, and then the Add Others button. Repeat until no more people are bing added.

4. Now, use the Focus Group as the "Subject" in the List of People report, and set the Secondary Output to change your custom Flag to Y.

5. Finally, create the list of people you actually want with the List of People report, using a Filtered Group with this filter (remember to turn off the Secondary Output):

(LIVING = Y OR

LIVING = ? ) AND

RELATIVES = Y END

I've found the easiest way is to just run a kinship report and then delete all the "Spouses of ..."