Sign in to follow this  
hrfrantz

Latitude & Logitude

TMG7 Uses old style Latitude & Longitude formats which are not readily useful with many GPS and mapping applications. With cheap GPS most users are thereby limited in the "ease of use" and accuracy of the format used in "Master Places". When will the DD Decimal Degrees method be implemented?

This will greatly improve recording accurate locations.

~Herb

TMG will accept several forms of entry but will convert those to the form it uses (if the validation check is on). Decimal latitude/longitude data has been requested by users for some time.

You can turn the latitude/longitude validation checking off in Preferences and then enter the data any way that you choose.

File / Preferences / Program Options / Prompts / unselect 'Validate LAT/LONG value'

Herb,

I'm not fully up to speed on what TMG does to DD format lat long values when the "'Validate LAT/LONG value" option is disabled. However, if you replace the comma between the DD values with a tilde, TMG will not change the value. So, for the DD value "42.685811,-71.112485" enter "42.685811~-71.112485". If the latitude is negative, add a leading tilde, as in "~-12.0931~-77.0465".

Second Site will interpret those lat/long values correctly, and it's relatively easy to convert the tilde version to a comma-separated version that is useful with GPS devices, etc.

I have lobbied Wholly Genes to accept the DD format without converting it. When/if that happens, I think WG may accept both the comma-separated and tilde-separated formats and if they do not accept the tilde-separated format I'll provide a way to convert it to whatever DD format is required.

John