Sign in to follow this  
iamken

Adoption

I am having trouble getting a child adopted to show up in the family on a journal report

Here is what I have done:

The child "Dylan" is Tims new wife's from a previous marriage.

For Dylan I have a tag called "Name-Adopted" and the sentence is "Upon adoption he was named [N] <[M]>"

and a tag called "Name-Birth" and the sentence is "[PP] birth name was [N] <[M]>"

and the tag "Father-Ado"

For the adoptive father "Tim" I have the tag "Son-Ado" with Dylan as the son.

also a tag called "Adopted" and the role of "Adoptor" and the sentence is "He <and [P2]> adopted [RG:Adoptee]< [M]><[D]><[L]>"

Dylan's birth surname is inserted in the memo field

Dylan is the "Adoptee"as listed in the sentence of "Adoptor"

My problem, when I do a journal report Dylan does not show up in Tim's family, Dylan's mother does, Dylan is now his son so how can I accomplish this?

I sure need some help here

Thanks in advance

Kenny

I am having trouble getting a child adopted to show up in the family on a journal report

Here is what I have done:

The child "Dylan" is Tims new wife's from a previous marriage.

For Dylan I have a tag called "Name-Adopted" and the sentence is "Upon adoption he was named [N] <[M]>"

and a tag called "Name-Birth" and the sentence is "[PP] birth name was [N] <[M]>"

and the tag "Father-Ado"

For the adoptive father "Tim" I have the tag "Son-Ado" with Dylan as the son.

also a tag called "Adopted" and the role of "Adoptor" and the sentence is "He <and [P2]> adopted [RG:Adoptee]< [M]><[D]><[L]>"

Dylan's birth surname is inserted in the memo field

Dylan is the "Adoptee"as listed in the sentence of "Adoptor"

My problem, when I do a journal report Dylan does not show up in Tim's family, Dylan's mother does, Dylan is now his son so how can I accomplish this?

I sure need some help here

Thanks in advance

Kenny

It is assumed that you are using the standard tags...Father-Ado and Son-Ado, and the son also has a standard tag of Father-Bio.

I, too, fall into that category.

Only one father in the parent group can be designated as Primary at any one time. The son will only appear in the reports or charts associated with the primary Father.

You can change the Primary Father designation to whichever family on which you are reporting.

or

As an example of what I do, I keep my bio father as primary. When I gen a descendant chart on my adoptive family, I gen. a chart on myself and copy my chart into my adoptive fathers chart, edit the composite chart as needed. In that case, I connect myself to my adoptive parents with a dotted line.

In defense of this difficulty with TMG (reports and charts), it is a genealogy (biological) program, not a legalality one.

Hope this helps,

Hi Kenny,

This issue comes up often and there are a variety of ways to deal with this. You could search both this Forum and the TMG-L ListServ e-mail archives using the keyword "Adoption" and come up with quite a few hits.

For my way to deal with adoptions you might look at my custom tags described in the TMG Sentence Forum here. As Mike notes, only one parent can be Primary for a given TMG person to define decendency and linkages such as in the Journal report. All Ancestor and Descendent linkages in TMG are done through only one set of parents for a person, those marked as Primary.

There are two major approachs to deal with Adoption and thus multiple parents in TMG. One is to change the Primary parent for the adopted child to cause the linkage you desire for the report you are generating, and then change back for some other report. Another way is to enter two separate TMG people entries for the same child: one TMG person linked to the biological parents, the other TMG person linked to the adoptive parents. That reports a person for either linkage in reports, but does not resolve what to do with the linkages for the children of that adopted child. Thus there are advantages and disadvantages to both methods. You choose based on how you want reports to print, and how you want to enter data in TMG.

Thanks Mike and Michael

I used Mike's suggestion and everything seems well, at least for the moment anyway

Kenny