Joe Cummings

Exhibit Enhancement Request

Basically, I would like to see a way to set TMG Exhibit "Property" data fields automatically when I select an object or item for placement in a particular tag.

I currently make extensive use of IPTC metadata for every file in my archive library (image, audio, pdf, multimedia, etc.). The primary field I use that are applicable to TMG are the IPTC "Headline" and "Description" fields. When I assign a file to the exhibit, would like to see the metadata "Headline" data copied to the TMG "Properites-Caption" field and the IPTC "Description" data copied to the TMG "Properties-Description" field. In addition, have the file name place in the TMG "Reference" field.

Not sure how many TMG users utilize file IPTC metadata so may not be cost effective to implement this enhancement. Maybe an on line poll may applicable to obtain this information.

Probably, the ideal implementation would be to provide a mapping function in preferences for the Topic, Reference, Caption and Description. A blank entry for a field's data would indicate manual input for the field. This way, people who use IPTC metadata but different metadata fields could map their preferences.

Just a thought!

Another idea is not to copy the IPTC meta data, but instead use the current meta data values in the image file if the corresponding values in the exhibit record are blank. So, for example, if TMG was inserting an exhibit into a report, it would use set the caption based on the meta data, if any, if the exhibit's caption field was blank.

There is at least one challenge with this, and that has to do with filtering exhibits: it wouldn't be practical to have filters read the external image files to determine the exhibit caption or description in order to apply a filter. That argues for copying the meta data values. Unfortunately, if the meta data is copied to the exhibit record, and the user subsequently modifies the meta data, the TMG exhibit record would no longer be in sync with the meta data.

As a minor but important detail, I am curious why you suggested that the "Headline" IPTC field map to TMG's exhibit caption. IPTC has a "Caption_Abstract" field and based on my experience, applications that record a "caption" place it in the "Caption_Abstract" field. I know that's true of Photoshop, for example.

FYI: Second Site currently uses the IPTC "Caption_Abstract" as the exhibit caption if it is processing an exhibit that has IPTC meta data but does not have an exhibit caption.

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

Your "another idea" sounds much better but I thought that would be asking too much. The point about being out of sync is not a problem with my situation. An example would be images. I have an "archive library" in which I place all my images I want to save for future use. This is similar to a book library. When I need to utilize an image in that library for another application, I copy the image from the library to the application. In the application, I may make any number of changes (e.g., crop, resize and even change to a jpeg). At that point I have the potential to have my metadata "out of sync" due to changes made for that application. The copying is how I add images to my TMG exhibit folder. Another point is that the organization of images in my archive is different from that of the copied file set in the TMG exhibit folder. The main reasons for changing the library metadata after the intial entry is normally spelling errors and identification of previous "unknowns". The frequency of this is low; thus, I can live with updating the metadata manually in both the library and TMG exhbit file as needed. The main reason for bringing up this enhancement is to save me the work of copying metadata for the initial assignment of the copy to the TMG tag from the TMG exhibit folder.

I was unable to find the IPTC "Caption_Abstract" field in either Phtotshop/Bridge/Acrobat File Properties (CS2, CS3, CS4). In fact, CS3 and CS4 (may have also been in CS2) list a sub-set of fields called "IPTC Content". The use of this content is "Use this panel to describe the visual content of the page", It's fields are: "Headline", "Description", "Keywords", IPTC Subject Code" and "Description Writer". I also have "Thumbs Plus" software which is a database management application. In there they have IPTC fields called "Headline" and "Caption". This maps to Adobe "Headline" and "Description" IPTC fields. This terminology goes back to the inception of this data used for transmitting news photos. Headline is the Title of the image and Description the details (what, why, when, where).

Hope this makes sense (in understanding if not in why I have implemented this way)!

Joe

Joe

Joe,

In Photoshop 7, if you open the "File info" dialog there is a pull-down menu to select one of the sections of the dialog. In the "General" section there is a field labeled "Caption:". If you store text in that field, it is written to IPTC meta data in the "Caption_Abstract" field. That's how the documentation I've seen about the IPTC standard describes the field.