dspindle

More TMG on a MAC questions

I have a new MacBook Pro and have a +4K person database in TMG 7. What do I need to know about running TMG on my Mac? I can't bear the thought of changing over to a different gen program. Do I need another program to make it run TMG--windows issues, e.g.? I'll need specifics. :-) I've read through the boards but haven't seen anything current and want to be sure I'm looking at accurate info.

TIA

Debra

Oklahoma City

CodeWeavers Crossover does not appear to be a viable option at this time see: http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=48095

There are a number of people using Parallels and VMWare Fusion, there are also some open source virtualization software available.

For Parallels see this thread: http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...6&hl=goterm

I have a new MacBook Pro and have a +4K person database in TMG 7. What do I need to know about running TMG on my Mac? I can't bear the thought of changing over to a different gen program. Do I need another program to make it run TMG--windows issues, e.g.? I'll need specifics. :-) I've read through the boards but haven't seen anything current and want to be sure I'm looking at accurate info.

TIA

Debra

Oklahoma City

There are two populare, commercial software packages that let you run windows programs on a Mac, both mentioned already:

* Parallels Desktop

* VMWare Fusion

Both will require you to have the OS disk available (e.g. Win XP)

I have personally used both of these to run TMG7 without any problems (currently using VMWare Fusion 3).

-strathglass

OK, so now I have Parallels desktop installed. And TMG 7. But when I try to restore my .sqz file, it appears to go through the process, but at the end, it says no restore took place. So how do I get my data to my Mac? Please. :-)

Other users have successfully run TMG using Parallels, but it takes a bit of initial configuration to make it work. This is caused by now having two file systems, on in Mac and one in Windows. You need to tell TMG what you are doing. See other postings on this topic in this Forum by searching for the term "Parallels", and I especially recommend starting by viewing this posting.

Hope this gives you ideas,

If you are using the Parallels default configuration > Options > Shared Profile > Enable Shared Profile - Redirect Windows user folders to Mac you'll need to use a data_paths.txt file.

Your TMG project files need to be located in the WINDOWS file tree.

Please see the TMG help topic: Customizing Data File Storage

The data_paths.txt file only needs 2 lines

username is the user name of the account you use to log on to the WINDOWS Virtual Machine

Windows XP

[username]

UserData=C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

Windows Vista & 7

[username]

UserData=C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7