BuffaloCreek

TMG v5.10 to v7 or v8

Hi, I have been rather dormant for many years from the genealogy world. I had TMG v4 and v5. The last installed version was v5.10 but I had not made much in the way of changes since v4 but kept the TMG updated for a while after going into hibernation for the last 10 years or so.

Question:

The files from my last install are intact but not technically installed in registry etc. The files have been moved from computer upgrade several times as a pickup and putdown effort. The last backup file appears to be in xxx.sqz format in Nov 2003.

Can I upgrade to v7.04 or v8 (if it happens soon) from these files?

The TMG.exe does not fire up in the current directory so I cannot do a more recent Backup.

Current machine is a quadcore cpu with Win7 64bit OS wit tonnes of ram and HDDs etc.

Thanks

BuffaloCreek

To move your data into TMG 7 or 8 (when available) requires a backup (.sqz) file from TMG 5 or 6, which you then Restore into the current version. You can also Import a TMG 4 dataset, but it sounds like you added data in TMG 5, so don't want to do that.

If you think your current TMG 5 backup is current, or nearly enough so to use, you can easily do the upgrade from that. If not, you will want to make a current backup. There are a couple of approaches to do that. The easiest way may be to install a "trial" version of TMG 6, which can open the TMG 5 project, then make the backup from that. It is available at http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg6setup.exe

You're welcome, Fred.

I think you will find there are some nice enhancements since v5. There is a page on my website discussing the ones in v7. There were also some in v6, and a partial list of those to be in v8 has been posted on this forum.

You're welcome, Fred.

I think you will find there are some nice enhancements since v5. There is a page on my website discussing the ones in v7. There were also some in v6, and a partial list of those to be in v8 has been posted on this forum.

Terry,

I have downloaded the TMg v7 demo/trial file and it opened my old TMG v5 backup without a hassle. The data looks like it did when I last used it back in 2002/3.

The trial version will let me have a play for a while and hopefully the TMG v8 will come out soon.

A frantic clean of my office did find my older Family Roots on floppies and I did find an old cd1&2 of an early TMG which has most files dated 1997. I must have updated it several times to get it TMG v5.10. The disks do have my user number so that was good.

Again thanks for your help