Sign in to follow this  
Michael Dietz

Naturalization code on 1920 census

I have found a family in the 1910 and 1920 census in Chicago. The mother, three daughters, and one son immigrated in 1909. In the 1920 census one of the daughters is listed as "AL" in the naturalization column indicating she was still alien. The other two daughters are listed as "NA" indicating they were naturalized.

My question concerns the mother and son. They are listed as "PA". I can find no explanation for this code. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Mike

Mike,

The best source I've found for questions like this is the original Enumerator Instructions. On this issue they say:

128. Column 14. Naturalized or alien.—This question applies to all foreign-born [footnote 1 here] persons, male and female, of whatever age. It should be answered, therefore, for every person whose birthplace was in a foreign country, as follows:

129. For a foreign-born male 21 years of age and over, or a foreign-born unmarried female of that age, write—

"NA" (for naturalized), if he, or she, has become a full citizen, either by taking out second

or final papers of naturalization or, while he or she was under the age of 21 years, through

the naturalization of either of the parents.

"Pa" (for papers), if he, or she, has declared intention to become an American citizen and has taken

out "first papers."

"Al" (for alien), if he, or she, has taken no step toward becoming an American citizen.

130. A married woman is to be reported with the same citizenship as her husband.

131. A foreign-born [footnote 1 here] child under 21 years of age is to be reported with the same citizenship (naturalized or alien) as the parents, unless such child has taken out papers of declaration, in which case write "Pa" Note that a person must be at least 18 years of age to take out papers of declaration of intention to become a citizen.

Thank you Jim and Terry. I have bookmarked the instructions.

It is very obvious the son is relation. In the 1930 census he is still PA. So he never did finish the process. And I have a new meaning to apply to this (and to me), Procrastinating Again.

Mike