dorisw

PDF printer driver

Hi Jim,

I'm still having problems. Everything seems to work ok except that I cannot find the Ports tab (step 18). Could this be because I'm updating TMG and printers, etc., on my laptop (Windows 7 x64) but my actual printer is networked as a slave to my desktop which is running XP? Right now I can't print anything from TMG on my laptop.

Thanks!

Doris

How to get the Wholly Genes PDF driver working under Windows 7 x64 (64-bit)...

(not necessary under Windows 7 x86 (32-bit))

1) Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the RRW folder in your TMG 7 program folder.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v7\rrw"

2) Select the file "pdfinstall.exe"

3) Right-click and select "Properties"

4) Select the "Compatibility" tab

5) Click the [Change settings for all users] button

Respond affirmatively to a permissions prompt if received.

6) Select the "Compatibility mode" checkbox so that it's checked

7) Select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" from the listbox

8) Click [OK] and [OK] again to save your changes

---

9) Run TMG.

10) Select File / Printer Setup...

11) Click the [install PDF printer] button

12) Click [Yes] on the prompt screen

13) The messages on the "Amyuni Document Converter" screen should show that the PDF printer driver was successfully installed.

14) Click [OK] and [OK] to close the screens

15) Exit TMG

---

If you haven't added the "Devices and Printers' button to the Start Menu, do so.

Right-click on the taskbar and select "Properties"

Select the "Start Menu" tab

Click the [Customize...] button

Click the "Devices and Printers" checkbox so that it's checked

Click [OK] and [OK] again to save your change

16) Open the Start Menu and click the [Devices and Printers] button

17) Right-click on the "Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3" icon and select "Printer properties"

18) Select the "Ports" tab

19) Click the [Add Port...] button

Respond affirmatively if there is a permissions prompt.

20) With "Local Port" selected in the list, click the [New Port...] button

21) On the "Port Name" screen, enter a name such as "NewPort" (no quotes) and click [OK].

22) On the "Ports" tab, make sure that your "NewPort" local port is selected

23) Click [OK] to save your changes to the PDF driver properties.

You should now be able to output a report to a PDF file from TMG.

On the report definition screen for the selected report, the Report Destination / File type should be Acrobat

(PDF). Be sure to save a name and path for the file (such as c:\test\test.PDF) in the File name field.

%%%%%%%%%%

It's considerably easier to do this than it was to write it down. :)

Many thanks to Virginia Blakelock for finding the NewPort trick and to formerprof for pinning down the PDF driver installer issue.

The Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 must be installed on your notebook as I described in my post. I have no idea exactly what you are saying since there is no way to access the driver as a networked driver.

You never use the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 as a printer driver directly. It is only used by TMG internally.

When you right-click on the driver icon in Devices and Printers, you select "Printer Properties", not "Properties", in order to access the Ports tab.

Thank you, Jim. I did use select Printer Properties but could not find anything within that related to Ports. But there may be another problem because once I close out of the procedure you outline, the Wholly Genes PDF Printer no longer shows up under Device and Printers, even though every steps shows as having completed successfully. (I do have as a printer the Amyumi Document Converter, though.) Now, when I attempted to redo the entire procedure I did notice an error under Amyuni document Converter: "Copying acXML Parser.dll file. Error Code: 2. The system cannot find the file specified." But then it proceeds with the remaining steps and finishes with "Printer setup successful."

Might it be helpful to reinstall TMG?

Doris

The Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 must be installed on your notebook as I described in my post. I have no idea why you are saying since there is no way to access the driver as a networked driver.

You never use the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 as a printer driver directly. It is only used by TMG internally.

When you right-click on the driver icon in Devices and Printers, you select "Printer Properties", not "Properties", in order to access the Ports tab.

The name of the printer driver in the Devices and Printers folder is "Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3", not "Amyumi Document Converter". It is the Amyuni driver but is renamed.

Might it be helpful to reinstall TMG?

No. That would make no difference.

I have no idea why opening the printer properties would delete the driver.

See the screenshots.

printer1.JPG

printer2.JPG